Does Anybody Have Enough Experience With Peavey Bandits To Comment on Reliability?

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
I love Peavey Bandits for their reasonable tube-like sound and presumed SS reliability, and have recommended them fairly often- but really, I don't have long-term experience with them. I THINK they might be great for Studio101NOLA, as our work-horse rehearsal amp, if they are as reliable as I think they may be. Anybody got long-term experience?

I've asked this before, AIRC, but recently I got an older Peavey 2-12 cab that housed a VTX or similar. I am thinking I could put a Bandit chassis and 2 12's in the cab, and voila! have a 100-watt, 212 amp that is bullet-proof, for about $100 or maybe less.

Any comments?

Oh, great to visit here, again. Hi, everybody.

I have owned a Peavey Bandit 1x12 for over 20 years. But (and it's a big but) I probably only ever turn it on twice a year. :(

Sorry, small data point for ya.

And welcome back.

I've had one for longer and gigged it regular. Changed out the speaker a few times and had it cleaned maybe twice... Had others that have been stolen or traded..

Love em...

I gigged with one on a regular basis for years and still have it. Not the best amp I have but it's never tanked.

I have owned one and my stepson owned one. They are solid amps known to be a working man's amp. If you would like to know more go to Peavey.com and check out the guitar amp forum. Bandits have been made for awhile and have several editions (red stripe, teal stripe, silver stripe...). The newest ones are made in China, but the older ones were made in the USA.

I've had two Bandits--the first 65 w and the first TT, both good amps, especially the TT. Also have a TT Studio Pro 65 rehoused in a wooden cab with a G12M70, got the chassis used in trade for a POS HP computer, and the speaker came from a second hand store out in the boonies for $15.00, so I've got about $40.00 in the whole thing. Still sounds like a Peavey, but a much better Peavey.

I've used Bandits in the past and sold them on in good working order and I've seen them thrashed and survive it a good few times, not had one break on me. Oddly enough a Vypyr 100 2x12 which has been discontinued then replaced with the 1x12 more singing and dancing version has come into my possession. A retailer I deal with from time to time had a couple of the 2x12 100 watt units on display which were immaculate and fully guaranteed they were offering for a daft price so I snapped one up and registered it for the five year guarantee with Peavey, just waiting to get the Sanpera foot-switch delivered so I can use the loop function. It is immaculate and has a decent sound for the money, also very loud for what it is. The simulated valve tones are very believable.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks, everybody.

Which of the different variations are a)80 watts/100 watts with two speakers, and b) best sounding?

Wow, that's perfect! I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted, but now I am:

USA made.
80/100 watt capability (it appears the Solo Series would do, just wire the 2 12's in parallel.)
Scorpion or Sheffield speaker.
Transtube technology, so named or not.

So, anything made form '89 to '03 or '04 should do, and the older it is the cheaper it will probably be and the more likely the cab (which I will probably trash or put in my attic) will be in bad shape, making it amp even cheaper. I am shooting for $50 or less.

Thanks, eveyone.

Wow, that's perfect! I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted, but now I am:

USA made.
80/100 watt capability (it appears the Solo Series would do, just wire the 2 12's in parallel.)
Scorpion or Sheffield speaker.
Transtube technology, so named or not.

So, anything made form '89 to '03 or '04 should do, and the older it is the cheaper it will probably be and the more likely the cab (which I will probably trash or put in my attic) will be in bad shape, making it amp even cheaper. I am shooting for $50 or less.

Thanks, eveyone.

Well, now that I know you want my amp, I'll sell it to ya for 3x the market price. :D

The only Peavey amp I really like a lot is the Classic 30.

But Peaveys are indeed built like tanks and super reliable. A friend of mine gigs out a lot like I do and he's used a Classic 30 for years in the rain and sun and sand ...... no problems except a chirp when he turns it off ..... probably from caps discharging.

If you like the bandit then I think it'd be ultra reliable ......

I have a Classic 30 that is my main amp. It was a combo until I converted it to a head. Bought an unfinished 2x12 cab and finished it to match the head. I've always thought about converting a Bandit, but have been thinking more of buying a Peavey XL. Here are some pics of my conversion:DSCN0235.JPGDSCN0265.JPGDSCN0273.JPG I'd like to see your conversion when you do it.

No pics, but imagine a standard VTX 212 cab, with a Bandit chassis in place of the original. We are not going for special looking, just good-enough looks and drop-dead reliability.
it'll be reliable for sure ...... I'm not sure how many guitarists are gonna want to play thru a Bandit so as a studio amp I think it might not get a lot of use which will make it last even longer.

My Mesa blowed up last night and I played thru a Classic 50 someone had and it sounded awesome, I have to admit.

I appreciate all the input, here.

That said, turning the discussion to the Classic 30 is a little beside the point- not that I mind, you understand, just sayin'. I like that amp, too- the only thing I'd change would be cosmetics of the Delta Blues 210; I prefer the narrow front look of the C30 to the TV front of the DB210. Oh, well.

Lt. Bob, about the tone of the Bandit "212," we have far better tone machines than it would be for recording- the Bandit would/will be in the rehearsal side- short-term rental there usually includes a serviceable amp or three, and competitive pressure often prevents us from offering nicer tone boxes like the Deluxe Reverb- hence the Bandit 212 project. But we do have a BF (reissue) Twin, Red-knob Twin, and SF Twin available, for a little extra money.

BTW, Bob, have you ever dropped in at Studio101NOLA? DJ would certainly make you welcome. 1001 S. Broad Street.

I had a Bandit for a few years and was always throwing it in my car to go jam. It never missed a lick. It also takes pedals, especially dirt pedals, really well. It hooked me on Peavey amps. I have a Vypyr right now.

Back