I need comments and recomendation for my studio

Asgaroth

Hello Community.

I'm getting back into recording after thinking about it every day for the past 5years :)

anyhow, this is what I have.

PC - i2500k / 16gb with SSD.

I've tried Cubase but found it a little bit to complicated for my taste. So I got myself Sonar X3 Studio. I used to use Cakewalk in the past.

My equipment =

Microphones = old SM58 (1999) and SM57
Audio Interface = Roland / Cakewalk v-100 Studio USB V-STUDIO 100 :: Products :: Roland
Headphones = Sony MDR7506
Monitors = M-Audio BX5
Guitar processor = Line 6 pod X3
Guitars, Bass, - doesn't matter I guess (Ibanez/Modulus/Carvin - all modded)
Guitar AMP = Traynor YCV80
Bass = Peavy 212 (not sure about the name model bought off ebay sounds good)
Preamp = BlueTube (bought by recommendation of the friend used for $100)
MIDI = Samson Graphite 49

I have Kontakt Element 5 and also considering Superior Drummer

My primary focus is recording acoustic verses + doom/death metal (I am one man band - all other band member grew up from this :) )

questions
  • 1) Should I sell my V-100 off ebay and get something cheaper and invest into something else
  • 2) How good is preamp for microphones on v-100 or should I use blueTube ? or something else
  • 3) Everyone hate AKG C1000S I used to like this mic though it was the only mic. we had for our recording. What else can I get cheap. I need higher frequencies SM58 is good but it's not condenser.
  • 4) SONAR X3 = how good stock EQ and Compressor, Rever - should I look into something else?
  • 5) POD X3 - Is Anything better than this processor at the same price range (used) .
    I doubt I can go through the pain recording via my Traynor Amp which I like a lot - same question for the bass. Software Apps for guitar used to have higher latency than X3.

Sorry for the long post :)

any comments are welcome and thank you for your time and effort! I really appreciate it.

Either mic your guitar amp or plug the guitar directly into the Roland, no need to use the POD unless you want to use its effects. I didn't quite unerstand 5) - you DON'T want to record your amps? There are plenty of plug-in guitar processors you can use.

Not sure how much money you would get selling the Roland, better to use it since you've got it. I don't know anything about the mic preamps in it, but they are likely to be better than the ART.

What's your budget for a microphone? Are you looking for an 'everything' mic, to record vocals, acoustic guitar, etc?

Last edited:
Thank you Mike

I didnt' quite unerstand 5) - you DON'T want ot record your amps? There ar eplenty of plug-in guitar processors you can use.

I'm thinking It will be to hard to record that at 1am.

Not sure how much money you would get selling the Roland, better to use it since you've got it. I don't know anything about the mic preamps in it, but they are likely to be better than the ART.
So I will keep it :)

What's your budget for a microphone? Are you looking for an 'everything' mic, to record vocals, acoustic guitar, etc?

Microphone will be used only for the male vocals budget 100-250 (I was looking into MXL v67). I have sample of my recording with AKG c1000s directly into PC if that will help to identify the mic. I need.

Many choices for mics in that range, since different mics work differently for for different voices, best to try out a few - if you buy form Guitar Center, you can always return within 30 days.
I use an AKG Perception 220 for vocals and acoustic guitar and I'm very happy with it.

Most Guitar Centers also have a mic display that lets you try each vocal mic in a row through the same amp and speakers. It helps a lot when the singer hears themselves. Some have a great proximity effect (deeper when closer) and some have better rejection off mic.
Rod Norman
Engineer

Back