Do you guys always upgrade?

guitar ed

Hey guys. Just wondering if I'm nuts or do others prefer older versions of certain software? When I first started in this PC recording thing, I was using Cool Edit Pro 1.2a, and Sound Forge 4.5. I got Sonar after I felt that I knew enough about what I was doing, but I didn't have the heart to abandon Cool Edit. So, I went for CEP 2.0, and I absolutely hate it! 2.0 is out, 1.2a is back in! Same thing with Sound Forge. I tried 5.0 and 6.0, and I'm back to 4.5! I did upgrade Sonar to 2.2, but I was curious if any of you had your old favorites that you preferred over the new and improved upgrades. Might be a fun thread on a slow day!!

ed

Nope! I upgrade. I feel like I'm stuck in the past if I don't...

And well, there is one program I wish I'd never upgraded. Windows 3.11 is the most stable Windows version ever! But since the rest of the world moved on, so must I...

I hear ya. I'm all the way up to XP Pro now, which I love, by the way. No crashes ever with Sonar, so far. Sometimes I like being stuck in the past. Once in a while I consider dusting off the old 4-track and having at it!!! Sometimes ya gotta move, and sometimes ya just don't wanna !!

ed

Yes, I have to admit: WinXP is the best Windows since Win3.11... ;)

And I know what you mean... But I'm such a tech.slut that I need the newest, badest, most expensive thing! Only kidding! But I like upgrades... usually good comes with them. :) And yeah, maybe you need to learn the program all over again, but so what? Habits can be changed to the better if needed! :D

Nah, i still use Pro Audio 9. Before that it was Pro Audio 5. I will get Sonar but I haven't even checked out the demo to any extent yet. My reasoning is, if I can't make music with Pro Audio I can't make it with Sonar...
It's the same with OS, I try to hang on as long as I can...
Still prefer 98SE in windows (MS-DOS 3.3 => MS-DOS 5 was the last time I willingly upgraded an OS). I do use XP and 2000 at work, and use ME on this machine (installed when delivered), but I wouldn't pay for it.
So basically I'm the total opposit of Moskus. I should be called suksoM. WTF am I doing in software development...

I waited almost a year and a half before I got XP. I also didn't get Sonar til version 2 came out, and the reason is not that I didn't want to........................I was running a pee-pee little 233mhz and neither XP or Sonar would stand a chance on that thing!! I got me a 600 now. Still not a powerhouse, but I can accomplish what I need to. I have a bunch of older Cakewalk versions, and once in a while I'll throw them on just to see how much better they run on my faster computer. Sonar is still the best IMHO, but I like to get a bit nostalgic on occasion! I still don't like the newer versions of Sound Forge or Cool Edit Pro, and you can't make me use them!! Nope, you can't! I won't do it, I tell ya!

ed

guitar ed said:
I still don't like the newer versions of Sound Forge or Cool Edit Pro, and you can't make me use them!! Nope, you can't! I won't do it, I tell ya!
Then what if I told you that CoolEdit 1.2 and SoundForge 4.5 sucks compare to the new versions? ;)

I actually think so...

Then what if I told you that CoolEdit 1.2 and SoundForge 4.5 sucks compare to the new versions?

I'd say 'Nuh-uh, buddy'!! Although you're right. There has to be improvements, otherwise they'd just be re-releasing the same durn thing. I'm just more comfortable with the older versions of those two apps. And the MIDI capabilities in CEP 2.0 are pretty much non-existant. I love the noise reduction plug ins in CEP, but you can't use them in Sonar. Sonic Foundry's FX show up in my DX list in Sonar, but CEP's do not. I can get it done by accessing CEP from the Sonar tools menu, but I'd like the CEP fx to just be there. You can use Fruity Loops plugins with Sonar if you have the DX wrapper. That's kinda cool.

Anyway, whether or not either program sucks is irrelevant......my sister can still whup your sister, so there!!

ed

Change???? I fear change!! I have everything working so smooth now. I just know if I put Sound Forge 6.0 in there, the damn thing will start smokin' and the lights are gonna flicker, and the dog will start barkin', and my car will stop runnin', and my wife will start yellin', and my kids will start cryin', and my boss will call and fire me, I'll have no money for food, my wife will leave me, I'll turn to crime to support myself, I'll get caught robbing a gas station, I'll be sentenced to a year in jail, some guy named Bubba will take me as his bitch, I'll be denied parole, and things will only get worse from there! So let's see........................... what the hell, maybe I'll try it again!!

ed

Ahh, I can see where you have problems! ;)

I fear change too, but good changes I like! :)

My call is: Upgrade when the new version will make life easier. The many benefits of the latest software is overwelming. I can not imagine a software studio without VST or DXi support any more. I don't think you can ecen use soundfonts without a soundblaster card in CW Pro. I upgraded to Sonar 2.2 only because of the rewire support, but since I've been using it I find the other improvements essential (especially DX2 support for multiple synth outputs).

BloodHound said:
Upgrade when the new version will make life easier.
But how do you know that an update will make your life easier? I didn't think I would use the Drum Maps, but hey! Now I can't live without them... ;)

moskus said:
But how do you know that an update will make your life easier?

True. I also upgraded for one reason and is now finding the other goodies more usefull!

About drum maps. I have one pain having to create drum maps for my CM SR202 banks. It's not hard to do (actually it's very easy), but it takes sooo much time to do them all

BloodHound said:
About drum maps. I have one pain having to create drum maps for my CM SR202 banks. It's not hard to do (actually it's very easy), but it takes sooo much time to do them all
Yeah I know.. I'm currently creating a DrumMap for the newly aquired Drumkit From Hell (man, it's amazing!) and it takes forever to make... That's one draw-back.

Yep, love to upgrade (hate the cost). When I upgrade each time, I find the learning curve to be less. Initially, I only used cakewalk for midi, so when they came out with an audio version, didn't upgrade for 2-3 versions. There were so many changes it was hard to relearn the program. When I went from Sonar 1 to 2, pretty easy. Also, I agree that you never know what features you will use. I was not too impressed with softsynths as I have a piano and 5 hardware synths in my studio. Sonar came with them and now I'm a fan..... best of both worlds. Occasionally a feature is missing, but for the most part, I'm an upgrader.

Take Care

Well, I did it. I formatted my computer last night, and just for shits and giggles, I installed Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and Sound Forge 6.0. So far, all the walls are still standing. I'll be OK I think. One of these days I'll be all sentimental with SF 6 while everyone else is using version 9.0!!! Never ends, does it?? I'll keep you posted, as I know you're all very concerned about me here!!

ed

Back