Do I need a DI box for recording bass?

lttoler

I am slowly working on getting all of the elements sound right with my band's demo recording. So far, I think the bass guitar sound is lacking. The bass player uses a GK 1001RB head and we have been running the direct out straight to the interface (Tascam US-1800). To me, it sounds really sterile, and I have to EQ a great deal of the lows out to get it to fit in the mix. Should I be running the Direct Out to a DI box before the interface, or would that not be needed?

Thanks for all of your help!

I see two switches at inputs 9+10 labelled line/guitar.

You should be using one of these inputs and selecting guitar, assuming this is a standard passive bass guitar.

That, as far as I know, is the same as using a DI box.

When DIing a bass, I find it's really important to get the tones on the instrument bang on first.
If you don't, you're forever chasing it.

The balanced out from your GK is like a built in DI box. Depending on the sound or tone you are after, I tried a few things myself, also not being fond of that sterile tone from the interface. I mean, it's a usable sound, but it's one sound that is polite. Sometimes you want some attitude, if that makes sense.
The first thing I tried was a Sans Amp, both the pedal and rack mount version. The cool thing about the rack version is the FX insert, so a compressor can just fit in nicely. Sounds great, if you like that sound.
I've also heard and read that the ART Dual MP makes a great bass DI, so............... I bought one. It works. Don't expect a pristine clean sound. Think Hunter Burgan and not James Jamerson. But your attitude is right here. And you can find a Dual MP for maybe $100 or $125. The Bass Driver is maybe $200 for the pedal and the RBI cost me over $300, so it ain't cheap. But if you want a tone with attitude, it's worth it. And it's still cheaper than two bass amplifiers (for different sounds), and a few mics that can handle bass frequencies.

.. The bass player uses a GK 1001RB head and we have been running the direct out

snip..
.. To me, it sounds really sterile, and I have to EQ a great deal of the lows out to get it to fit in the mix. Should I be running the Direct Out to a DI box before the interface, or would that not be needed? ..
The head's direct out can be right off the head's pre amp or after the amps tone controls.
If it's set to post eq that could be adding tone that's not a good fit to the recording.
If it's set pre' then you wouldn't expect to see much difference in tone balance changing to a D/I. You might be looking more at how the bass is set up.
Also, 'sterile might be helped some by looking at low passing trim at the top end -depending.

Then there's the good ol' mic the cab.

I really like the SVT Classic in amplitube Free.

Download Amplitube Free (for free), and try out the SVT Classic bass amp in the "custom shop". You can try for free and if you like it it's an additional $20 for the simulated head, and $5 for the 4x10 cab...so for $25 you can get a really great amp sound...oh and you'll just plug your bass directly into the inputs labeled "instrument"

Why not use the GK's direct out and record a second channel with a mic in front of the cab. Then you can blend the 2 channels to get the bass sound you want. You can get a DI if you want, but I would still record a mic channel with it.

Alan.

ok, i reread your original post.

a lot of times DI sounds sterile because it is! The only DI I've ever liked was direct into a nice pre that can get a little distortion (I really like the neve style ones, others like the API style). DI into a pretty colorless preamp will sound pretty boring most of the time.

If I were you I'd 1) work on the amp sound to get a nice miced sound, or 2) get a nice bass amp sim. The first option would be my first choice though...give it some time and work on mic placement, and the actual amp sound.

wizendoz has the best option nailed.
It's worth considering using a Behringer BDI21 as the DI - it's a clone of the sansamp really at a tiny fraction of the cost & is REALLY good.
It'll allow straight DI but also has drive, treble, bass, level & blend. the latter being a bit of tube enulation. I get quite a good tone for my needs from it. Blending any DI with the mic'd amp gives a world of options. Many simple passive DIs allow for the signla to be split on the way out - one to the Interface & the otehr to the amp for mic'ing. One'll give you clarity and definition the otehr some thump - that's bass isn't it?

wizendoz has the best option nailed.
It's worth considering using a Behringer BDI21 as the DI - it's a clone of the sansamp really at a tiny fraction of the cost & is REALLY good.
It'll allow straight DI but also has drive, treble, bass, level & blend. the latter being a bit of tube enulation. I get quite a good tone for my needs from it. Blending any DI with the mic'd amp gives a world of options. Many simple passive DIs allow for the signla to be split on the way out - one to the Interface & the otehr to the amp for mic'ing. One'll give you clarity and definition the otehr some thump - that's bass isn't it?

+1 for the Behri BDI21. There aren't very many things I've ever bought that I've been totally satisfied with, but this is one of them. Worth several times the price, IMO. Less than $50. Buy one while you can.

Back