DIY transformer box to add color

KillerV

I heard an engineer talking about running tracks through a 1:1 transformer to add color to the sound. I think he said it was a Sowter that he took out of a broken Allen & Heath desk. After I did a search on google it seems that there might be a way of building a box with ins and outs, connected to the transformer that you can do this with, but I've found little more about it.

Can anyone tell me how I could wire something like this or give me schematics for it?

What might the results of doing something like this be sound-wise?

Hi, not a tranformer expert but if you go to the Jensen Transformer web, they have some schematics and information that may help you. Sorry I can't help with your transfomer/sound question, my home setup is all analog so I have all the warmth/color for sound I need:D Hope this helps.

Jerry

It's pretty simple; take your converter output to the transformer primary, and take the transformer secondary back to your converter input.

The results will depend a lot on the transformer used. Very good transformers like the Jensens will be designed for flat frequency response and low distortion. You would need to hit them with a very hot level to distort.

Transformer artifacts which might be found in lesser units include low-frequency saturation (low-order harmonic distortion), "ringing", variable impedance, low-frequency rolloff, high-frequency rolloff, etc. If those get extreme, they would be considered defects and thus not acceptable as an audio transformer.

Back