DIY cables - bulk cable

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
Those who make their own cables, what bulk instrument cable do you like?

I've used mogami W2524 and liked it a lot. I'm just looking for other options higher end (i.e. more expensive) and others of the same quality, just to try them out and see if there really is a difference.

Thanks a lot!

Oh, and what connectors do you guys like...I'm looking for some pretty high end connectors in the $10 range.

My place is wired with Beldon. Not the most expensive stuff but I doubt anyone could hear the difference. As far ar connectors, most of mine are Switchcraft with some Canare and Nuetrik. Again not the most expensive but no audible difference. I have a LOT of cash tied up in cable and connectors. the difference between $3. and $10 per connector woud be $1000 for me.

My place is wired with Beldon. Not the most expensive stuff but I doubt anyone could hear the difference. As far ar connectors, most of mine are Switchcraft with some Canare and Nuetrik. Again not the most expensive but no audible difference. I have a LOT of cash tied up in cable and connectors. the difference between $3. and $10 per connector woud be $1000 for me.

Yeah, I've built a lot using Mogami and Canare cable, and some Amphenol/Neutrik $3 connectors. I'm looking for some connectors in a midrange just to build a couple guitar cables and see what the difference is. Honestly, I can hear a slight difference in cable up to the mogami w2524, once it gets into the super high end cable I can't hear it.

But, I'm with you, $3 per connector and .70 per foot even adds up fast!

Tell me about it. Over 3000' of cable, 6 patchbays, connectors for patchcords for those, 24 inputs to the multitrack, 24 returns to the console, the mic snake, mic cables, the list goes on for a while. I think wire is one thing a lot of folks overlook when planing a studio.

Tell me about it. Over 3000' of cable, 6 patchbays, connectors for patchcords for those, 24 inputs to the multitrack, 24 returns to the console, the mic snake, mic cables, the list goes on for a while. I think wire is one thing a lot of folks overlook when planing a studio.

For sure. I just started building and replacing all of mine the last couple months. I only have 8 in, 10 out, plus mic cables, guitar cables, patch cables, pedal board cables, and misc stuff and I've already spent a ton and I'm only half way there. Buying it premade would cost 2.5 times though.

I use that same mogami stuff.

I like switchcraft connectors over some of the more expensive neutrik stuff, but that is mostly because they seem to be easier to solder.

Everything here is fished into the walls. Mic connections, headphone jacks, speakers wires.

Yall should check out how WhiteStrat wired up his studio. He made wall plates and shit. Pretty badass.

Old photo (presonus garbage is gone), but the patch setup is still there. Really nice on my (now) rear mounted xlr points.

100_0955.jpg

100_0954.jpg

Quick question - I tried some quick google-fu, and apparently I failed.

I have an instrument cable that went bad. How do I tell which end went to crap on me? Is there a check I can do with a multimeter? Or do I just spend a few bucks and replace both ends?

It's almost never the ends (and if it is it's obvious when you take it apart). Save the ends and replace the cable part.

Quick question - I tried some quick google-fu, and apparently I failed.

I have an instrument cable that went bad. How do I tell which end went to crap on me? Is there a check I can do with a multimeter? Or do I just spend a few bucks and replace both ends?

99.9% of cable failures are either crimps of some kind (usually fairly obvious from the exterior), broken solder joints (fairly obvious when you open the ends). I'd, if you can, resolder the ends. If that doesn't work, it's probably some failure in the cabling.

Old photo (presonus garbage is gone), but the patch setup is still there. Really nice on my (now) rear mounted xlr points.

100_0955.jpg

100_0954.jpg

Very cool setup. That is on my super long list of studio upgrades. I have all the equipment I want (for now), and some good mics, so improvements in routing and cabling are moving up the list.

Oh, and those tube pres aren't that bad! Not tube, but they sound alright. I have one from years ago, I'm not sure it works anymore, and I can't find the 16v wall-wart.

Yes the Neutrik stuff is very good but pricey.
The main problem with cheaper connectors, especially jacks I find is the poor cable clamp and strain relief arrangements. Both issues can be fixed by the smart use of heatshrink sleeving.

Dave.

Back