[SOLVED] DIY Amp. Anybody ever build one worth using?

J

jokerone

I'm wondering if anybody here has ever built their own Amp and uses it. (other than just as an academic exercise in building an amp).

Were you happy with the tone quality?

Did you design it yourself, or did you work off of a schematic and clone something?

please post your thoughts.

thanks

I built an 18w plexi clone. I bought it as an entire kit with step by step instructions. It sounds really good, not sure how close to the real thing it is.

I built a 1/4watt replica of Brian May's little studio amp.
Maybe not the kind of thing you're after but it's pretty cool and it won't kill you if you balls it up. The whole thing runs on 9v.

All the guitar on this track was done through that amp. (link to home recording thread)

I built an 18w plexi clone. I bought it as an entire kit with step by step instructions. It sounds really good, not sure how close to the real thing it is.

that's sounds pretty close to what I'm thinking about.

Not some mega wattage thing, but something with good/great tone for the studio. (don't know if great tone is possible with a DIY).

thanks.

---------- Update ----------

I built a 1/4watt replica of Brian May's little studio amp.
Maybe not the kind of thing you're after but it's pretty cool and it won't kill you if you balls it up. The whole thing runs on 9v.

All the guitar on this track was done through that amp. (link to home recording thread)

that sounds pretty cool. thanks.

I've got my plans and parts list for a Metro 50w Plexi build. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm only interested in mega watt things. :D

I'm wondering if anybody here has ever built their own Amp and uses it.

I'm sure there are lots of guys that do, and have kits that turn out very well....but as I spend a lot of time on eBay, I also notice a LOT of guys build kit amps, only to then turn around and sell them....???
Their listings rave about how great the amps are, and all the quality parts they used, and how close they sound (or better) than the amp they cloned...
...but I always wonder....WTF are you selling it for then??? :D

I think building is more about wanting to build your own than it is about trying to save money or to build a clone a lot cheaper than the real thing...etc.
Do it for the enjoyment of building your own...and then I'm sure you will enjoy using it. :)

Me...I'm too lazy...I want it ready to play out of the box. :p

I'm sure there are lots of guys that do, and have kits that turn out very well....but as I spend a lot of time on eBay, I also notice a LOT of guys build kit amps, only to then turn around and sell them....???
Their listings rave about how great the amps are, and all the quality parts they used, and how close they sound (or better) than the amp they cloned...

I think building is more about wanting to build your own than it is about trying to save money or to build a clone a lot cheaper than the real thing...etc.
Do it for the enjoyment of building your own...and then I'm sure you will enjoy using it. :)

I probably have a better chance of building a successful amp than I do playing on one.. :D

That's what it is for me. I can buy a used Plexi reissue for about the price it will cost to build my own Metro. But I wanna build it. I know the amp will be awesome, but I want to build it myself. I have plenty of ready-to-go amps, I wanna build my own now.

Back