Tom Petty cover - Steenamaroo

Steen's back and he's bored.....

So you know what happens - One mediocre cover for your pleasure.
Not quite finished yet, but certainly good enough for you lot. :p

Enjoy. :)

'Click here for the 'final' final mix.
The soundcloud ones below are previous mixes.

Mix updated after post 22.

Last edited:
Bloody SC imbed isn't working today. Pity.

I listened at moderate listening levels.

The doubled vocals did a weird thing at about 1:24.

Your tones sound great, instruments and vocal. The playing is tight.
I'd see if the snare could give me some more body. It's not exactly weak sounding but I wouldn't put my money on it to win an arm-wrestling contest.

Bloody SC imbed isn't working today. Pity.

Ooh, what's going on?

The doubled vocals did a weird thing at about 1:24.

I don't hear it. Can you describe?

Your tones sound great, instruments and vocal. The playing is tight.
I'd see if the snare could give me some more body. It's not exactly weak sounding but I wouldn't put my money on it to win an arm-wrestling contest.

Thanks man. I'm not big on putting guitar tones out there because I've never really gotten a good one. :p
This is an out-of-character attempt for me.

I'm not a fan of the snare either. It's the main thing I keep coming back to and changing.
Thanks for pointing it out. :)

This sounds good, I can't fault the sound and the mix much - but the issue with me is with the bass guitar - it's boring. So much could be done with it to give the track some movement and interest, but it just plods along! Bring on the bass. It's not just for dum-dums. :)

I think what's happening is that your actually hitting the note so well on both panned vocals that it briefly collapses the stereo image.

This sounds good, I can't fault the sound and the mix much - but the issue with me is with the bass guitar - it's boring. So much could be done with it to give the track some movement and interest, but it just plods along! Bring on the bass. It's not just for dum-dums. :)

The bass was kinda hard to hear in the original recording, but it didn't sound particularly exciting.
Maybe I could do my own thing with it and bring it to life!

Thanks man. :)

---------- Update ----------

I think what's happening is that your actually hitting the note so well on both panned vocals that it briefly collapses the stereo image.

That's the kind of feedback Steen likes to hear. ;)
That's my next signature quote, I think.

So one day I'll say "I dunno Steen, that's a hard note to hit." and you'll remind me that you once collapsed the stereo image with your exact pitch?

I enjoyed the tight playing, and the mix was clear and punchy. I didn't mind the sound of the snare at all. It has its own character. I tend to agree about the bass. It is functional rather than exciting. But I tend to prefer less than more, so I am ok with the bass as it is.

I enjoyed the tight playing, and the mix was clear and punchy. I didn't mind the sound of the snare at all. It has its own character. I tend to agree about the bass. It is functional rather than exciting. But I tend to prefer less than more, so I am ok with the bass as it is.

Thanks Gecko. Appreciate the listen.
If you listened to the top player, the snare is a bit fatter sounding there.

No one's shat on my guitar tones yet....that's good. :p

Not finished? What the heck else could you do to it?

Not a big fan of the song itself, but great job. The punchy snare and kick give it some balls.

Not finished? What the heck else could you do to it?

Not a big fan of the song itself, but great job. The punchy snare and kick give it some balls.

Heh. Cheers man. :)
There's a harmonica break missing and later in the song I put lead guitar where there should be harmonica.
Other than that, there are a few timing mishaps on the chorus vocals. Nothing massive, but enough to kill the groove a little.
I don't like the way the chorus main vocal is sitting either, but maybe that's just me.

Not sure what else to do, in fairness.

Thanks for listening. :)

Guitar tones sound really good and close to the original. Everything else seems to be in place to my ears at least. Great job

I prefer the 2nd mix! Great job! Sounds really killer to me! Excellently mixed as well as your performance!
cheers

Thank you Hugo.
I had a great fun doing this one. That's what it's about.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Thanks for listening. :)

Guitar tones sound really good and close to the original. Everything else seems to be in place to my ears at least. Great job

Hi Bruthish,
I'm really glad to hear you mention the guitar tones.
I did pay a bit of attention to them. They're actually a lot farther from the originals than you'd think, but I think they work well enough.
Without an A/B, I think they do the job.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

As a side note, this track probably uses less reverb than any I've done before. Huh!?

I actually like the first snare better. The "fattening" on the second clip fattened all the wrong stuff for a snare IMO. The kick also seems slightly tighter for some reason in the first clip, which to me is better for the song. The rest sounds fine. No problems.

Hi Bruthish,
I'm really glad to hear you mention the guitar tones.
I did pay a bit of attention to them. They're actually a lot farther from the originals than you'd think, but I think they work well enough.
Without an A/B, I think they do the job.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

As a side note, this track probably uses less reverb than any I've done before. Huh!?

Your probably right, A/B from yours to the original its probably not the exact tone, but it sounds pretty close when you don't have a comparison to judge. Besides, you made it your own...your vocal doesn't sound like Tom Petty so your guitar tone and the rest of the music doesn't have to sound like theirs either or you may risk sounding karaoke. I think its well done and I am sure was fun recording.

Back