Difference between mics?

THX1136

Bonehead
Anybody know what the main differences between mics that appeaer similar from the same manufacturer are? The ones that come to mind are the PL 20 and RE 20 that EV makes. I'm assuming quality of electronics, but wondered if there is more to it than that. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Well, in the example that you bring up specifically ...

... the difference is that one has a "PL" in the name. And the other one has an "RE" in the name.

And that's about it.

So from your points of view a SM54 would sound about the same as a 57. Or the PL20 and RE20 would not sound different enough to pay the extra for the RE20? Thanks for you input.

where did the sm54 vs. sm57 come into this? according to the coutant website, which apparently sites a letter from an ev representative, the mics are identical except for their paint schemes, names, and marketing

I'm sorry I probably got the model numbers wrong. I was asking about differences in general between mics that appear quite similar. The PL20 and RE20 were just two that easily came to mind. I misplaced my old Shure catalog so I was going from my poor memory. They had several mics that appeared similar and I always wondered what the differences were. It's the why pay the big bucks for something that will sound basically the same sort of thing that I was thinking about. I apologize for my ignorance in this area. I didn't check the coutant link out as I thought it was unrelated. Again, my apologies

Last edited:
homonyms or what's in a name?

Hi,

Most mics that look alike but have different model numbers are different. Sometimes a little different. Sometimes a lot different.

You just happened to pick two that are in fact homonyms. (Different names for the same thing)

EV PL20 = EV RE20
EV PL5 = EV 635
Audio Technica Pro 37r = Audio Technica Pro 37
Peavey 520i = Peavey 520tn

These are the rare exceptions. Mostly when mics are given a new name it's because it's a different product.

Shure 545 is not the same as Shure SM57 although they look the same and sound similar.

Shure SM57 and Shure SM58 look different but are essentially the same.

Beyerdynamics M130 and M160 look similar but one is a figure eight ribbon and one is a hypercardiod ribbon.

So you can't go by the name. Shure PG58, SM58, and Beta58 are all substantially different in quality and sell to different markets.

Just sometimes, like in your example, they are the same.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Thanks for your response Larry. I does clear up some of my thinking and obviously adds to my understanding. I appeciate your response. Thanks all!

Speaking in general the differences between mikes that look the same is most likely.

1. Pattern
2. Frequency Response
3. Connector Type
4. Minor features (switch, or switched features like bass roll off or pad)

Usually a change in diaphram size or technology or tube will need a slightly different case.

Back