Difference between Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) and ....

joeydiaz

Hello everyone,

I am possibly going to purchase a Focusrite Scarlett usb interface for some recording. I live in Europe and the price for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) is 109 GBP, while there is another model called Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) at 90 GBP, and from what I can see the only difference between the two is that the 2i2 has more inputs.

Since I am only going to be using one mic I don't think I will need more inputs. Am I right in this? Could I just as well buy the cheaper solo version of the Focusrite Scarlett or is there some sound quality differences or other differences between the two?

I would post links but I can't do so as I am still a new member here!

Hi there,

It looks like the main specs are identical but I notice the solo has unbalanced main outputs and lacks a headphone volume control.
I don't know if headphone volume is controlled by software, then, or if it mirrors the main output volume control.

If you don't know, balanced outputs allow for cancellation of any noise that's picked up along the cable path - Interference from transformers, lights etc.
Will you be using monitors/speakers?

It's always good to think ahead when interface shopping. What are your plans and goals?

Do you record music? What instruments?
Just voice? Podcasting? Ever likely to have guests?

To answer your question : Yes, to use one microphone you only need one input, but sometimes it pays to jump ahead a few steps if you know where you're headed.

Tell us more, and welcome to HR! :)

Hi Steenamaroo,

Thank you for your feedback. I do guided meditations and podcasting type audio files where I share the theory on given topics. the guided meditations will need minimum background noise... And yes, I will be using computer if I purchase the 2i2, so perhaps It is better to pay the extra 20 gbp and go for the dual version?

It is always better to have the extra input. You may not need it now but might in the future. As an added benefit, if one of the inputs ever develops noise or goes bad you have that spare input. the price isn't that much more to even worry about.

Personally I wouldn't want unbalanced outputs, although in many situations no doubt it can be fine. If you're using headphones exclusively it's irrelevant.
I'd go 2i2 for the unbalanced outs and consider the second input a backup/bonus.

If minimum background noise for clear speak is important then microphone choice and environment are crucial.

What microphone do you plan to use, and what's your environment like? (echoey, furnished, tiled, noisy, fans AC?)

+1 to everyone saying go with an extra input. When I first started I bought an interface with two inputs thinking that it would be fine and the more I read and became involved I realized that down the line I was going to need to get something with more inputs.

Regarding the Focusrite products, I have the Scarlett 18i20 and love it. I've had it basically since I started and it has always been dependable and easy to use. The preamps are pretty transparent (for the price) and it integrated extremely easily with my DAW (Sonar). Its performance out shined the small Presonus interface I started with in terms of latency as well. I know this isn't the same product you're looking at but just wanted to give my $.02 on the Focusrite brand.

Another vote here for 2mic inputs and as well as the other reasons given I would suggest it is always a poor idea to go for the lowest common denominator? QC might be 'just good enough' ? One of the few review place I trust cover the 2i2..Focusrite Scarlett |

But! There are other AIs you know! The Steinberg UR22 is in its second reincarnation and is noted to have very clean mic preamps. The UR22 also comes with the very common Cubase DAW software.

Dave.

Back