Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Do you notice a vocal change due to exposure / check only if yes

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dyson Steel

Smoked?

And it does not matter what.

So if you have did it affect your vocals?

Do You still and can you tell when you don't?

If you never did can you tell a big difference now from when, in days of past, when you gig in a bar or room where the secondary smoke is faint or fog?

How about some input here every one?

Reason I ask is I started smoking at age 12.
Became a 3 pack a day smoker.
Did lots of other smoking stuff too. Some overseas.
Got back to cigarettes only. Finally quit for 6 years, started back for 4 years. Been quit not almost a year again. I'm tired of them little sticks whipping my butt! I'm done with um!

I use to assist/host a radio program on Saturday mornings back in the 90's. I had character called "The Do-Nut Man" (no I'm not a cop)
1 morning I was doing my usual routien and something in the right side of my throat poped when I was squeeking in the shrill voice I use to use. I quit shortly after that. I went to the dr but they could find nothing.

Any one had any simular occurances?
Do you still smoke?
I'm not with the surgon general!

The vocals

Last edited:
My girlfriend is a vocalist in a band and she used to smoke about a pack a day. She quit a few months ago because the band was getting serious and she felt her habit was screwing up her voice. Since she quit her vocal range has improved dramatically. It's not even funny how much cigarettes can mangle your voice. She still can't hit the notes she could when before she started smoking, and her voice still has that mild raspy smokers sound too it, but part of that is probably because she has aged quite a bit since she picked up smoking. After seeing and hearing the change firsthand, I can't imagine how there could be so many excellent singers out there who are known to be regular smokers.

Jim Morrison was a regular smoker!
Dean Martin too.
Sammy Davis Jr.
Frank Sanatra
Bing Crosby (Not Bill)

I see a pattern here.

D

Bob Dylan smoked a lot. Didn't seem to affect his voice too much.............

Back