demo critique~~~

I forgot to mention that you have really amassed a thoughtful, elaborate and highly educated vocabulary over the years. I'm so fortunate that we met because I'm sure there are many many things that I can learn from you to better myself as both a musician and a person. :)

"You should take it home with you and let your mom tell you it sounds good."

Now you are describing yourself. You ARE very thoughful and insightful, just look at your first post here!!!! damn!!! I am learning from you! thank you so much.

kidding dick.
oh and please dont take up any more space in this thread because you arent helping anyone with your annoying little christian rock comments.

yeah funny, huh, seems as though everyone on this site will review shit but then I try and nothing. So, how do you delete a thread smartass???

uhm... yeah. Well giving feedback on others work in this clinic is a courtesy, one that needs to be extended as well as expected. Try listening to some other threads and getting to know the other personalities on this board before you get discourage from lack of visibility. Give it a chance it may take time.

One of the quickest ways to make yourself look like a jackass on this board though is to bristle at anything negative criticism that comes your way. If you unload every time someone posts a critical comment you're in for a long and lonely haul.

This website and especially the clinic have been INVALUABLE to me in terms of an education as a musician and producer. Before you start getting frustrated because everyone's not raving and becoming that huge following that you've predicted for yourself, take the time to listen and learn and understand why. You won't regret it.

Do well. Khom.

khom, thanks man, Yeah I was really only joking about not getting a response. I have been on here enough to know who is who dont exppect ANYTHING from anyone on here other than a few words of advice or criticisms, which is why this BBS is here. So, thanks man, just want to let everyone know I am NOT a dick, just dont like Christian rock! (again, joking) hahahahahaha (or am I????) peace to all! smoke em if you gott em!

the dude said:
I am NOT a dick
Sorry dude... I'll have to disagree.. you're the most belligerent person to hit this forum since our last troll.

You don't diss other people's stuff just because you're not getting reviews or because they didn't like your stuff. That's petty and pathetic.

And btw, it's not required that people post their own material in order to post reviews. Plenty of people around here post more feedback than music, so let it go already.

You wanna post here, get used to the way things work. And harassing people who give you negative feedback by talking trash about their music (that you haven't even listened to), and bashing their beliefs, and calling them names is not how things work. You might wanna switch gears on how you're approaching the clinic members if you intend to hang around very long.

Listened to your stuff. You really need to get some hi-fi mp3's up, because the links on your cdbaby site are at a horrible bit-rate. Try www.nowhereradio.com. You can upload whatever kind of MP3 you want. Get an encoder (like CDex) and use VBR to get them at a nice bit-rate. Even 128Kbps is misrepresentative of the actual recording. It sounds like there are some clarity/EQ issues (but I can't be sure how much because of the low bit-rate).

The material wasn't bad. Nice acoustic, easy-listening. Believe it or not, it reminds me (a lot) of a Christian band named Jars of Clay. Now, I mean that as a compliment.. because they're a very talented band. But, it's up to you if you can see past your own prejudices enough to accept that as a compliment.

WATYF

I think it sounds very dry and small sounding.
It is really quiet overall.
These are comments based on listening to the 2 min 128kbs version you offered a link to.

The critisism's above attest to why the lo-fi versions sound so aweful. A decent mix will translate to 32kbs mono decently enough. Don't believe me? Try this out.

. Obviously, a 128kbs mp3.

. A 32kbs mono mp3 resampled to 20050.

Anyway...............

Would be a great "get a gig" demo, and if I was booking a room that booked this kind of music, I would be impressed with this demo enough to consider booking the band. I would never pay for something of this poor of quality. It sounds, well, demoish to me.

I listened to Where Angels Sin.

It sounds decent, but makes no use of the stereo field. There is very little separation in the tracks. Try spreading those guitars out a little.
I also heard very little definition in the bass, partly due to the "mono-ish" mix.
The vocals sound like they were recorded on a Radioshack mic. Of course as Homerecers we gotta use what we got, but that breathy voice also lacks definition, probably more so because of the weaker vocal chain. I would have liked more body in the vocal performance as well.
I'll leave it at that. I just skimmed some of the other posts and I don't want any mud slung at me...

:)

LOL.....for some reason I just knew that the last few posts were the kind you were gonna get, Dude! I think maybe it was because of the abrasive way you snapped back at a couple people...that is not highly thought about around here. (When promulgated by a newbie) I was gonna PM'em ya and let you know before some folks posted their asstight remarks (WATYF) and the mob mentality took over (Sonusman,Sluice)

Don't let this shit get to you....they are just rouging you up a bit! Don't act or stomach an outsider label-persona....I guarantee you they think more of your work than their comments allude. You just can't expect to come into someone's neighborhood, pick on the old folks (kjam22) and assume the community will embrace you freely.

The best thing to do is offer a mea culpa to the boards, and state that you meant no disrespect, and are just really passionate about your music or some contrived B.S. like that ... :) That should win over a couple of these Goombas'!

Winston

Mob mentality? I don't believe I said ANYTHING insulting. I actually thought I was giving some good suggestions. But what do I know? I'm just a mobster. Another thing we try not to do around here Winston is critique other peoples' critiques. I've said nothing to you before, I don't know you, and I'm wondering if I'd even want to now. I've offered some legitimate suggestions. What did you offer...: "Great clean sound." That's helpful. All I can do is offer an opinion. I wouldn't be too quiuck to write off Sonusman's suggestions either. He has excellent ears. You can either learn here like the rest of us, or you can be a dick. One will take you farther than the other. Leave my name out of your posts please.

WinstonCowboy said:
LOL.....for some reason I just knew that the last few posts were the kind you were gonna get, Dude! I think maybe it was because of the abrasive way you snapped back at a couple people...that is not highly thought about around here. (When promulgated by a newbie) I was gonna PM'em ya and let you know before some folks posted their asstight remarks (WATYF) and the mob mentality took over (Sonusman,Sluice)

Don't let this shit get to you....they are just rouging you up a bit! Don't act or stomach an outsider label-persona....I guarantee you they think more of your work than their comments allude. You just can't expect to come into someone's neighborhood, pick on the old folks (kjam22) and assume the community will embrace you freely.

The best thing to do is offer a mea culpa to the boards, and state that you meant no disrespect, and are just really passionate about your music or some contrived B.S. like that ... :) That should win over a couple of these Goombas'!

Winston

Aaaaaaahahaha! Classic!!

Seriously this thread is getting exponentially more entertaining.

"Another thing we try not to do around here Winston is critique other peoples' critiques."

Ahhhh.....the magical formulations of the written word! Exercise time - let us all quiet our minds for a second and notice the beautifully ironical paradox contained in this sentence....

How can you solve this problem if you are the catalyst of the referent for the linguistic symbol, "critique" ....the never ending loop......

Winston

When your acid wears off maybe we can give this thread back to the dude, whom it should be noted I have not attacked in any way, nor do I have any motive to. It should also be noted that Sonusman actually said he'd consider booking the band based on the demo. And you call this roughing him up? Why you've included either of our names in your trolling pursuits is beyond me, but I think it's pretty immature. I'm sure the dude will be flattered that you've come to his rescue and all. But will anyone be able to give him honest critiques now with you insulting anyone who has anything constructive to say?

Alright, I get it. Congratulations. You're a troll and you sucked me in. Good job. Give yourself a pat on the back. Good night.

Just for the record.... I didn't think of myself as being "picked on". I just don't really feel the need to enter a cussing contest with anybody. I don't think it takes anything special to cuss someone out..... but that's just my opinion.

The guy rags on me for not having music posted out here..... and I have an active thread about 6 spots below his at the time. Pretty bright.

I play with a band and orchestra in front of 4000 people every weekend. I'm used to being around tempermental musicians and singers. Fortunately most of them are grownups. I'm guessin that this guy doesn't play in front of crowds that large every weekend.

Anyway.... I shouldn't have said anything, because I had him pegged right on the money before I opened my mouth. Sorry about that.

Best wishes to all :)

I liked it but it lacked dynamics...seemed very one dimensional. The musicianship is of a very high quailty, I guess I would just like to hear a little more dynamics to grab me and keep me waiting for more.

That said, I appeciate all the time and sweat you put into this song...it shows.

Overall a very good song... the recording doesn't do it justice I'm sure.

Rick

WinstonCowboy said:

Winston

Actually, I just told him straight up what I thought of his production. I am a straight shooter and if you have read ANY other critique I have given, you would see that this one was actually nothing close to the kind of "roughing up" I COULD do! ;) Must be the kinder/gentler me coming out or something.

Ed

Oh, and I don't think ANYTHING more of his work than it being a decent sounding "get a gig" demo. I have heard DIY guys do MUCH better than this around here.

Ed

well guys!!! I think I need to get a better link than the cdbaby site because I (we) recorded this demo on an AKAI DPS 16 with an AT3035 condensor and 57's. NOTHING about this is amatuerish if you listened on anything other than my link.(sorry, thought since CDbaby is trying to sell music that they'd make it sound good, obviously not.) anyway, this was also mixed on ALESIS MKII monitors in a GOOD room and then mastered by a pro. There are 3 acoustic guitars, 2 of which are panned hard right and hard left, the third is up the middle. There is also bass and wurlitzer throughout most of it, so I believe the separation is there BUT you probably cannot hear it because of the quality. anwyay, didnt mean to piss anyone off here, ONE person made a dick comment about taking it home and letting my mom tell me it is good and that was a childish thing for him to say so I thought I'd give him A TON of shit for it. Come to find out that wa the wrong thing to do and I apologize. Thanks to everyone else for their comments, IF you have the capability to listen to the hi fi version on cdbaby, DO IT! sounds fucking great even on my shitty speakers here at work. Thanks for the comments, OH and we (BLACKFALL) DO play every weekend here in LOS ANGELES, we have a gig at the MINt in LA (sept. 1) opening for a band called NOvatone, featuring members of Pearl Jam, if you think I am speaking shit here, check out www.themintla.com and check their calendar. We ARE playing some decent gigs (non christian gatherings) in a BIG city (LA) so, i dont need to say any more on that subject about not playing in front of people. thanks again.

..Ok i think i can shed some light on things here..

First thing you need to do is search through this forum and find some tracks that will help you understand for yourself what elements your recordings are lacking.

Can anyone help me out here with some reference tracks demonstrating the following?

- separation
- stereo field usage
- vocal clarity

I don't think anyone doubts your dedication or musicianship, but even if you have writing chops on par with Lennon, if you don't present it well the idea will be lost on listeners.

I understand the origin of where kjam's comment that upset you came from. It probably originated in your first thread that got abandoned.

It seems like every time someone says "Hey this recording has some flaws", your response invariably seems to be "No i don't think you understand, our recording is great because we used pro gear." or "The recording is great because we're based out of LA and we listened to it in the studio and it sounded great". You may be surprised to discover that pro gear does not guarantee a pro-sound and that you may also one day realize that you can mix and produce better than the guy you once paid money to do it for you.

So unless the mp3 conversion has really altered the quality of the original recording, I would take these issues back to the guy who engineered this recording. Say "Hey, man you smushed every track in the center of the stereo field, they're all sitting on the same eq as each other and the vox as well " and see what he has to say.

hey Khomp. No, the quality of the MP3 on cdbaby is terrible. It does not give an accurate description of the original recording. We mixed the thing ourselves. Things ARE separated, not saying that the thing is perfect or that we are great because we are from LA, but again people on this BBS post shit like "you probably dont even play out." Gotta defend myself bro, not gonna let some shithead talk shit to me when they dont even know me or my background. We are obviously doing something right. The MP3 on cdbaby does not give a good representation of what we recorded (quality wise). I have been recording for the better part of 5 years now and the other guy has been at it for well over 10 years. We have learned this shit and know what we are doing, technically. I could have posted a manufactured cd quality song on cdbaby and everyone would be saying the same shit. that it is bad because the quality sucks, EVEN THOUGH it could have been a song off of a foo fighters cd. (professionally recorded mixed and mastered) know what I mean, my fault for not posting a better clip. I'm done.

Back