Delta 66 - computer wont start...

downatone

Hi,
I recently purchased M-audio's Delta 66. I stuck the card in, booted my machine - installed the drivers - and an error code appeared: Device wont start. I figured I'd reboot my computer and see if it picks up on the reboot. Sadly, the computer won't even boot (not even to the bios) unless I unplug the card. I've tried switching RAM, hard-drives, etc...and can confirm that it is definetly the sound card that is keeping it from booting.
Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?
cheers
David

on your bios screen. there is probably something along the lines of a pnp/pci hardware finder and it is probably disabled....you need to enable it to let your motherboard accept new devices...i know thats a vague discription but look around your bios in the pnp or pci area. I'm thinking thats whats got to be it. i had to enable mine to find the new hard drive and my audiophile on my last computer

So I've taken a LONG look at the bios, and I have no options in regards to enabling/disabling pnp/pci hardware finder (or something of the sort). The closest related options were as follows:
Auto detect DIMM/PCI Clk - enabled
[Within the PCI/PnP Setup Menu ->]
PnP aware OS - Yes (given I'm using XP)
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA - yes (although I don't think thats related at all :confused:)
There is also a CPU PnP Setup menu - but its all related to the CPU (and is enabled anyway).
Any further thoughts...?
If it doesn't boot, it was seem to be the card; but its strange given it booted and picked it up while installing it first time (but couldn't get the device started)...
Should I be looking at a return this early - or give it a few more days?

no.....remove the drivers for it that you installed and download the latest drivers from m-audio. load the drivers and then install the sound card. give that a shot

no.....remove the drivers for it that you installed and download the latest drivers from m-audio. load the drivers and then install the sound card. give that a shot

I just did that...for when it will actually boot with the card in.
BUT
We're getting ahead of ourselves - the current problem is, that the machine won't boot when the audio card is in ANY pci slot. It doesn't even get to the bootup screen, only the cd-rom lights flash. When I remove the card, it boots (thus here I am, back for help).

ok
take out the card
go to bios
pnp/pci configurations....go in there and where it says something like pci vga palette snoop....disable that
save configurations
turn the computer off immediately and then install the card.
now try booting it

Cool...
She's all installed - and seems to be picked up good...
Thanks for sticking that one out :eek:
I need sleep now, but will try it out tomorrow night.
cheers
David

on a side note:
How did changing "Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA" to NO, fix it?

i can honestly say i have no idea. what i think it is....the computer locks itself into expecting to load only the equipment that is in it at the time it locks down. anything else that gets put in a pci slot makes the computer freak out and it goes on strike. its nice to see that its working. have fun recording.

Back