Pro Tools CPU spikes for no reason

Hi everyone,

I know this is a very-known issue but I'd wanted to take stock of the solutions you all have found to resolve this f***ing problem.

I saw there was a script in a Gearslutz thread which helped some guys but it's no longer available.

My config (Desktop computer that I've built myself) :

CPU : Inter Core i7-4790K 4GHz
RAM : 32 GB
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX950
Motherboard : MSI Z97
Audio Interface : Tascam US-20x20

I followed everything Avid recommends for Pro Tools users on Windows 10 including to disable Hyperthreading, Turbo Boost and C-state transition in BIOS.

My install is new, clean and all my devices are up-to-date.

There is no reason why PT CPU spikes like this.
Even if there is only one track with no plugin on it, when I launch playback, the CPU error message appears. Inexplicable.

I have tried all buffer size values with no luck.

My PC works great and is really fast, I don't understand.

If there is some tips here, please tell!

Thanks a lot and have a great day.

I want to clarify a few things :

- I work on Pro Tools 12.5.0
- When I check the system usage window in Pro Tools, there's some 100% spikes several times per minute even if I don't hit play and don't do anything!

And when I compare this to the performance monitor in Windows' Task Manager, I don't see any spike at all.

Here is a video of what is happening, so weird...

YouTube

This is really weird, I don't get it.

Any help?

Thanx

90% of the time these are caused by a plugin. It doesn't have to be active, just has to be in the main plugin folder in Program Files>Common>Avid>Audio>Plugins. They get their code mangled up sometimes and need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Not usually OE plugins, just other devs. Though many have had problems with FB360 so if you don't use it I strongly recommend uninstalling it. The normal test procedure is to move all non avid plugins to unused plugins folder in the same place and test with only avid first. If spikes recur, move the avids out and test again. If it still spikes you have eliminated plugins. If spikes do not occur with only avid, move non avid back 10 at a time testing after each batch until it spikes again. Then remove the last set and add back one at a time, etc. Don't assume that only one plugin is a problem, check all.

Some of the other issues that can cause spikes are graphics related so make sure your driver is up to date.

Hyperthreading de activation sometimes backfires. I work with mine on, and I know of many guys on the DUC who run windows with hyper on.

Make sure to run as administrator.

Try turning wifi off.

Make sure there is no 3.5 floppy driver active in your BIOS.

Always work without any DVDs or CD's in the drive.

Re-seat all memory sticks

Thanks so much for the detailed procedure.

90% of the time these are caused by a plugin. It doesn't have to be active, just has to be in the main plugin folder in Program Files>Common>Avid>Audio>Plugins. They get their code mangled up sometimes and need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Not usually OE plugins, just other devs. Though many have had problems with FB360 so if you don't use it I strongly recommend uninstalling it. The normal test procedure is to move all non avid plugins to unused plugins folder in the same place and test with only avid first. If spikes recur, move the avids out and test again. If it still spikes you have eliminated plugins. If spikes do not occur with only avid, move non avid back 10 at a time testing after each batch until it spikes again. Then remove the last set and add back one at a time, etc. Don't assume that only one plugin is a problem, check all.

My Waves 10 bundle is the weak link. Addictive Drums 2 seems to be too.
The problem is that I use these two plugins all the time so it will be complicated to delete them. They are in almost all of my projects.

Some of the other issues that can cause spikes are graphics related so make sure your driver is up to date.

NVIDIA driver is up-to-date.

Hyperthreading de activation sometimes backfires. I work with mine on, and I know of many guys on the DUC who run windows with hyper on.

I will try to enable it again but the issue occurs with an without it I think.

Make sure to run as administrator.

This is OK.

Try turning wifi off.

No wifi on my desktop PC.

Make sure there is no 3.5 floppy driver active in your BIOS.

I don't know how to verify this in my BIOS.

Always work without any DVDs or CD's in the drive.

No CD/DVD in my drive. No USB key or HD plugged too.

Re-seat all memory sticks

I will try this if nothing works.

Thanks again!

Back