Delta 1010lt and Cakewalk Guitartracks Pro Help?

dnolan

Hi,
COuld someone please help me? I've just bought a delta 1010lt card to go with cakewalk guitartracks pro but i cant get my guitars working with this setup???

I've plugged mics in which work fine, but when i try an electric or accoustic guitar in either the XLR or normal inputs, they dont work?? Is there something simple im missing???
Thanks anyone who can help!!
dylan

Sounds like it might be a signal routing problem through your mixer (I'm assuming your using a mixer--correct me if I'm wrong). Have you tried plugging the guitars through the same inputs on the mixer as the mics which seem to work fine (without the mics plugged in, obviously)?

Other than that, maybe a preamp issue, although I plug both my strat and les paul and my Taylor (although I HATE the Fishman pickups) direct into my Mackie, then to my Delta 44 (using GTPro) with decent results. Signal strength seems fine.

Are you using a mixer? If so, what kind? How is it routed? I have to route mine through right vs left AND through the subgroup

Preamps?

What mics are working good? Do they go through a preamp, whereas the guitars don't?
Tom

Thanks Tom,
Im afraid i wasn't using a mixer.....sorry but new to this!!! I thought that the preamp in my takamine would act as a preamp for the line levels??? And i've been trying the electrics through the XLR inputs with preamp? Is this wrong??

Can you recommend a good but cheap option for converting the 8 line inputs to balanced?
Cheers,
dylan

Dylan

Perhaps you're using trs cables to connect your Tak to the breakout box when you do it directly? Could this be the problem? The breakout box of my Delta 44 will accept trs or ts cables. Is this the case for the 1010? I would check the literature on the card.

I usually use ts cables because they're cheaper, and I don't notice a significant difference in noise between the two.

I would suggest trying 2 things:
*try using ts cables into the breakout box of the delta, direct from the guitars (if you haven't already)
AND/OR
*try putting the Tak through the preamp to the delta using 1/4 inch ts cables (if you haven't already)

Perhaps the problem lies in the Delta control panel settings (routing? line level?)?

Feel free to clarify if I've misunderstood what you have tried so far.

Hope this helps.
Tom

i took a look at the m-audio website, are teh imputs RCA or 1/4 inch? either way, plugging your acoustic guitar into one of them should work fine. I think the problem is in the routing of your signals. In the mixer software that came with the delta, do you have all of the settings set properly? I've never used the 1010LT per se but the general idea is the same. In the mixer software have the imput that your guitar is plugged into set to have its output to your recording software. Then in your recording software, choose the channel that your guitar is plugged into.

The unit is probably defaulted to channel 1 and/or 2 so that is why your mics are working, because they are plugged into the xlr which are channel 1 or 2. The 1/4 inch (or RCA) start at channel 3 so you probably have to set this yourself.

Remember also that channel 3 and 4, as well as 5 and 6 ect, are left adn right of a stereo channel, so if you want different tracks from 3 and 4, you have to record in mono and have one panned hard left and the other panne dhard right.

Thanks for the replies,
I've tried the suggested above and have had a little success in that when i set cakewalk to recieve inputs 3 and 4 only the guitars will work, but only when i plug them into my amp and then into inputs 3 and 4? They wont work without the amp? Also when i change the cakewalk settings back to 1 and 2, and try and plug either of the guitars into inputs 1 (Set to recieve mic) or 2 (set to recieve line) it doesn't work?? These are the lines supposed to have preamps?? Any suggestions???

hmm i though you could just plug a guitar right into the delta 1010LT but i guess you do need some sort of an amplifier. I bet a 60 dollar DI box would do the trick for you. Check out americanmusical.com or musiciansfriend.com for some prices on DI boxes. Think they range form like 50 uck to 300 bucks.

Back