Delta 1010 burnout

Terry Wetzel

I've been involved with my own home studio for some time now. One of the first items I purchased was the Delta 1010 from M-Audio. it's about 5 or 6 years old now and during the process of rearrainging my equipment setup I must have inadvertently disconnected the cable from the computer pci card and turned the computer on. Well, as you probably know it fried! This was a stupid mistake on my part but, in my defense there should have been something more than a yellow warning sticker on the 1010 hardware box warning against doing what I did. Some type of fuse or whatever. Anyway it is what it is! Over several years I have become increasingly frustrated with Protools software problems so I recently purchased The Alesis HD24 and the Masterlink ML9600. Guess what? No problems at all. Still, I would like the ability to transfer my work analog to digital and back to analog for purposes of addind digital effects from either protools, soundforge or cd archetect. I have all 3 software programs in my PC but can no longer access them since the Delta 1010 stopped working. Hear is the point of all this. Can anyone out there:) who reads this advise me of a resonably priced ad,da converter, that would suit my needs? I don't want to complicate matters so it should be user friendly, (limited Computer knowledge here), not hard to hook up and compatible with any recording software I might choose to implement in my studio. Also it doesn't need to have mic preamps or more than stereo(2ch) in and out. Any advice is appreciated

The timing of the failure may have been coincidental. I'd look for blown capacitors in the outboard unit. The 1010 has a tendency to fail due to bad electrolytic power supply caps. If that's the problem, then it's a trivial fix.

If that doesn't work and you want to salvage your PT recordings, find somebody with a full Pro Tools rig (not M-Powered) and get them to open your projects and export them as OMF/OMFI (Open Media Framework/Open Media Framework Interchange) files. You should be able to open the OMF files with any number of other apps.

Back