Dell workstations as DAW

coldan

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there is using a Dell Workstation i.e. a T5500 or T7500 as a primary machine?

I thinking about picking one up and was wondering if there are any 'issues' that I should know about?

Cheers

Dan

If youre asking specifics of reliability as in DELL products, Ive not had those exact models.
Ive had Dell and they seem as good as Compaq and other off the shelf pc's...imo

If youre talking specs to record with a DAW, obviously people have been recording for years with less RAM and less CPU speed pc etc... in HR smaller demand setups.
I can record fine for my small needs on a 6yr old pc. much less power than those.

I think theres a wide range of users on the forum so what your going to do with the setup is important. Some need 24 inputs others need 2. ..or maybe only one for voiceover.

My experience with Dells (not those models) is that they need to be replaced every 3-4 years - typically the motherboard fails - 3 at home over the last 10 years. They're more expensive than Compaqs or other readily-available commercial computers which will last as long or longer.

My experience with Dells (not those models) is that they need to be replaced every 3-4 years - typically the motherboard fails - 3 at home over the last 10 years. They're more expensive than Compaqs or other readily-available commercial computers which will last as long or longer.

Dell use to be really good products. Their Alienware line is still top notch, and top dollar. Advantage for Dell these days are mainly around support. Use to be higher grade materials. I had one I kept on the road with me and they were built like tanks. I think with the pressures on the market, they are not as high end as they use to be, especially at their lower price points.

interesting reading wiki on Compaq, what an industry and biz shuffle.
I have a couple old compaqs around but I think they are no more...HP labeled these days.

I was told tonight to stay away from Dell.. a lot of returns and issues? just one or two sales guys.

2013 have bought 2, HP, I doubt they be worth anything in 3 or 4 years.
But for now its a new pc!

I haven't used Dell gear since about 13 years ago. Back then it seemed pretty well built BUT...

back then at least they often used non-standard memory chips and also did some mods to their installation of Windows that could sometimes cause driver compatibility issues with audio.

As I say, my experience is ages ago but it might be worth checking those things.

I know this is maybe already dead thread but I have share this with you. I just bought this new shining high-end Dell laptop which works like a charm! When it powers up. Motherboard failure. ;) Dell is supposed to pick this up any day now and change the motherboard. 2 moths old machine. Now I'm messing around with my 7 years old Acer again, which by the way, works just fine. :rolleyes:

Back