Delay pedal causing clipping

StarMan

I recorded a new track with some electric guitar going thru a Boss DD3. I checked the input gain and kept it a healthy normal level, and proceeded to record. When I played back the track after having recorded it, I heard the guitar clipping in the signal. This is weird as I have looked over the signal path and nothing I can find the cause of. it is something with the signal receiving the delay pedal on guitar through Cubase. Any suggestions as to how I can approach to finding this problem much appreciated.

If it is a clipping issue you'll find the source of the clipping by turning things down one by one across the signal chain starting with the source. if you pull everything back and there is still the same sound then it won't be clipping. Make sure you follow the noise all the way through to monitoring.

If it's not clipping, it's hard to diagnose without hearing, but the next step would be to take things out of the signal chain or replace elements of the signal chain to see if that remedies it. Working through it methodically is the only way to find the problem.

Greg_L:Um, good point, let me clarify, I plug my guitar into my Boss DD which goes into my amp. Then I mike my amp which is fed into Cubase and I record, so I am recording the miked guitar amp sound. Does this help?

mjbphotos : How would I know the pedal is clipping? Never heard of that before...

Greg_L:Um, good point, let me clarify, I plug my guitar into my Boss DD which goes into my amp. Then I mike my amp which is fed into Cubase and I record, so I am recording the miked guitar amp sound. Does this help?

A little. Try recording something else with that mic on that input and see if it's a cable or mic problem. Recite some poetry or something into it and see how it records.

"Recite some poetry or something into it and see how it records."

Are you seriously trying to be a smart a** or make fun? FYI, I have used the same set up, mike, amp with no problem whatsover, and through various distortion and/or overdrive pedals. But this is the first time I'm using a delay pedal. And before you say, "maybe the pedal is not working", it works fine.

>Take it out of the chain and match the level into cubase and see if it goes.<

You mean do a DI into audio interface with pedal in my chain, right?

Are you seriously trying to be a smart a** or make fun? FYI, I have used the same set up, mike, amp with no problem whatsover, and through various distortion and/or overdrive pedals. But this is the first time I'm using a delay pedal. And before you say, "maybe the pedal is not working", it works fine.

dude. relax. he's saying try using a different source. such as your voice. you came on here to help and that's what he's doing.

>dude. relax. he's saying try using a different source. such as your voice. you came on here to help and that's what he's doing.<
Ok, sorry, but from past experience when I've tried to ask for help, though many have been very helpful, some have been quite the opposite and make me feel like an idiot. I apologise if my knowledge is not as well versed as many on this forum. I'm still learning each day.

Are you seriously trying to be a smart a** or make fun?
Nope, not at all. I don't know wtf you're doing wrong or what you've tried to remedy the problem. I was just throwing out the idea that maybe it's something with that mic/cable/pre-amp/interface input/etc. Recording something not guitar on that channel could tell you if it's something in that signal chain or something guitar/pedal/amp specific. If i wanted to make fun of you, I can do much better than this.

FYI, I have used the same set up, mike, amp with no problem whatsover, and through various distortion and/or overdrive pedals. But this is the first time I'm using a delay pedal. And before you say, "maybe the pedal is not working", it works fine.
Do you hear the clipping noise coming from the amp while tracking? Is the track actually clipping, or does it just sound like shit and you think it's clipping?

well then, sounds like you don't have a problem, if everything's 'working fine'.
Obviously somethings not quite right or you wouldn't be having clipping problems.

:rolleyes:

Look ..... the poetry suggestion is a valid one. When a new signal path is giving you problems, then spoken word is a good way to start isolating what that problem is. So don't go jumping peoples' shit when they try to suggest things to try ..... they're taking time to try and help and if you're gonna get mad, it will quickly become a situation where no one will help.

Since you're running the pedal into an amp, I kinda doubt the pedal's the problem because you'd hear the clipping from the amp while setting it up.
Sounds like you have something a little hotter than usual .... it's easy for that to happen.

Go back and double check all the levels along the signal path.
Also .... what kind of mic are you using to mic the amp? That could possibly be where it is.

>Take it out of the chain and match the level into cubase and see if it goes.<

You mean do a DI into audio interface with pedal in my chain, right?

no .... he means keep everything the same except remove the delay and see if that fixes it.
Going DI isn't gonna tell you much about what's making your mic'd amp clip.

Do you have a clip of the clipping you could post somewhere so we can hear it? That might help diagnose the problem.

Delay pedals can clip when they are pushed too hard, or if there is something wrong in the pedal. Also, the preamp could be clipping even if the DAW is not. Check out the preamp and make sure you're not hitting it too hard. And, make sure your I/O setup is correct and you're not pushing the volume in the DAW somehow, or have the inputs set up whacky.

Really your only two options are 1) gain staging (i.e. something is too hot), or 2) broken gear. Check each stage in isolation to narrow down the offender (guitar->cable->pedal->cable->amp->mic->preamp->interface->DAW).

Back