Decent entry level ukulele?

scrubs

Not of sound mind
Probably gonna get myself a Christmas present. Trying to stay under $150. Thinking a soprano. Something that sounds good, is fun, and stays in tune relatively well. Any thoughts?

Does Epi make one? I bought my wife a mandolin from them, and it sounds decent and stays in tune...was about $130.

While it is a bit non-traditional in shape, the Fluke actually plays well and sounds good. Get the tenor sized one rather than the "Flea" soprano sized model. Tuning is better and it will be easier for you to play. I have Martin and Gibson ukes, but I also have a Fluke for knocking around with. IMHO, quality is also more consistent with the Fluke than with cheap wooden ukes.

While it is a bit non-traditional in shape, the Fluke actually plays well and sounds good. Get the tenor sized one rather than the "Flea" soprano sized model. Tuning is better and it will be easier for you to play. I have Martin and Gibson ukes, but I also have a Fluke for knocking around with. IMHO, quality is also more consistent with the Fluke than with cheap wooden ukes.

Thanks!

Why a tenor? I want it to sound like a ukulele and not a guitar, and I'd prefer to be able to tune it high: GCEA. Is that possible with the tenor?

The Concert Sized Fluke says you can tune it either way: GCEA or DGBE. Same for the tenor?

I'm interested in a uke as well,glad you brought the topic up.Is there anything else a guy needs to know about these things?

Thanks!

Why a tenor? I want it to sound like a ukulele and not a guitar, and I'd prefer to be able to tune it high: GCEA. Is that possible with the tenor?

The Concert Sized Fluke says you can tune it either way: GCEA or DGBE. Same for the tenor?

A lot of the recorded uke that you hear on records -- Bruddah IZ, Jake Shimabukuro (the guy with the You Tube video of While My Guitar Gently Weeps) is done with a tenor uke. Not at all close to a guitar. You'd need a baritone uke for that (which would be close to a tenor guitar).

Yes you can tune a tenor GCEA - I keep mine tuned that way. Most of the modern recorded uke that you hear is tuned GCEA. It also helps if you rearrange the strings a bit as follows (the Bruddah IZ tuning):

Put the C string where the G goes (it's a heavier string)
Put the E string where the C goes
Put the G string where the E goes
Leave the A string alone

Gives you a fuller sound. If you want, you can also tune the G string (once you've moved the C string to that locations) down an octave.

If you have a fluke or other uke with plastic frets, don't use metal wrapped strings as they will eat up the frets. If you have metal frets (an option on the Fluke), wrapped strings can provide brighter and fuller sound, although they are more pricey.

Actually there's nothing wrong with a soprano uke (I have 6 of them), it's just that for many people, it is easier to learn on a tenor, they are easier to tune (and keep in tune), and they sound less "plinky". YMMV. I have a Tenor, 6 sopranos and a Tiple (a 10 string uke like instrument originally from South America, but played like a uke in Hawaii). Looking for a good baritone uke to go with these. I have a pic of most of them posted on the Board somewhere -- OK found it.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=3031236&postcount=77

Totally not on point, but one of the guys in my shop owns one of Tiny Tim's old Kamakas. A truly awesome uke.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Totally not on point, but one of the guys in my shop owns one of Tiny Tim's old Kamakas. A truly awesome uke.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Cool, I thought he primarily a Martin guy. Is it a gold label koa model? Kamaka makes some great ukes.

Bounty is on Maui and they've been around for a while. As you might have noticed, they carry a bazillion (that's a "term of art") different brands and models. A lot of the newer cheaper ukes are made in Asia (surprise!). Some are designed here or finished here. Quality and consistency vary. The ukuleleunderground site has a lot of discussion of these, so it would be worthwhile to check out what people think of them.

The high line vintage brands that can still be found in substantial numbers today are Martin and Gibson (although there were a lot of other quality manufacturers in the uke's hey day in the 20s and 30s). Vintage ukes can, of course, be spendy. Although Martin is still making ukes, I'm not at all impressed with the Mexican made model that they currently sell. You can do better for the money. Kamaka is probably still the best known Hawaiian made uke as they have been around for a long time and still make an excellent instrument. There are a number of smaller quality luthiers, especially in Hawaii, who make their own line of ukes and they are well worth checking out.

Cool, I thought he primarily a Martin guy. Is it a gold label koa model? Kamaka makes some great ukes.

I don't know the model information, but Tiny was really just a lover of Ukes. He had a huge number of different Ukes over the years, most of them really nice, and though he never gets much credit for his playing (because he seldom showed off what he could do), he was one hell of a great uke player. Also, one of the two or three strangest people I've ever met - probably THE strangest - but one of the nicest people as well. All I can say is that it's a good thing he could get women, cause that guy needed a wife more than most people - well, a wife or a nurse.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

well worth the investment

Best advice....same as with a guitar, play a lot of them and choose the best one you can afford. I went to a flea market last year and bought an old Kamaka for $25. Neither the seller or I knew what a Kamaka was. Probably worth a couple hundred $$. The tone is very subtle and responsive to changes in right hand technique. Anyhow....enjoy . I have given away LOTS of ukes to my children and grandchildren , neices and nephews over the years and so far have produced a handful of fine guitarists and one EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD
shredmaster. All of them started on uke, as I did. Well worth the few bucks invested.

chazba

I grew up in Hawaii where, at the time, the uke was the grade school equivalent of the recorder that is used in schools here. Everyone had one and played them together in school. I took lessons when I was 8. I still have the uke I started out on. Happily, my parents bought me a Martin style 0. Great little uke. My mother taught 5th grade and had a Kamaka gold label that she used to lead the kids in class. Unfortunately, my sister absconded with it and I think my nephews are playing it these days:D That was also a really nice uke. Of course the prices for both those ukes are substantially higher these days.

Wow Pohaku,
I had no idea you were a uke person.
I've got a tiple also.

I'm a big fan of ukes:

small for travel or curled up on the couch
affordable
reasonable volume for not bugging other people
inside out tuning for close harmony chords
nylon strings dont need pick

Wow Pohaku,
I've got a tiple also.

I'm a big fan of ukes:

affordable

Yeah, and you can schlep them on a plane without having to deal with luggage size restrictions! Try that with your D-28.

Wow Pohaku,
I've got a tiple also.

I'm a big fan of ukes:

affordable

What kind of Tiple? We want pics!:D

Back