Death of a pickup

Toki987

Rock Steady
I bought a Fender jazz deluxe 5 string back in April of '04. It has been a fine bass ever since with no trouble. The neck pickup died last week. It just quit working suddenly, There is no short in the wiring harness, just a dead pickup. Of course Fender only garrantees them for a year now. I find that really strange since I have basses from the 60`s and 70`s that sound the same as when I bought them and no hardware issues except for a custom Washburn from '93 that had a bad preamp. Anybody else ever have a pickup to die on a Fender?

Toki987 said:
I bought a Fender jazz deluxe 5 string back in April of '04. It has been a fine bass ever since with no trouble. The neck pickup died last week. It just quit working suddenly, There is no short in the wiring harness, just a dead pickup. Of course Fender only garrantees them for a year now. I find that really strange since I have basses from the 60`s and 70`s that sound the same as when I bought them and no hardware issues except for a custom Washburn from '93 that had a bad preamp. Anybody else ever have a pickup to die on a Fender?

A few years ago, a pickup on our bass player's jazz bass died suddenly. A check with a multimeter showed an open circuit, so the winding parted somewhere in the coil. It wasn't that expensive or hard to replace.

ggunn said:
A few years ago, a pickup on our bass player's jazz bass died suddenly. A check with a multimeter showed an open circuit, so the winding parted somewhere in the coil. It wasn't that expensive or hard to replace.

I think that's probably the problem with this one. I`d fix it myself but after looking at the 42 gauge wire I think i`ll pass. I`m going to rob a Bartolini out of my Washburn until I get a replacement and stick it in. It may sound decent with the mixture.

Zaphod B said:
I've never heard of pickup death before. :confused:

maybe "bought the farm, kicked the bucket, went tits up, shot it's wad, shet the bed, crapped out, fugged up, went out, fuggin quit, stopped working, won`t do it`s thing, took a dive, went south, bought it, went awol, Fubar'd , konked out, or maybe just isn't making continuity". In any case it`s dead.

:)

Toki987 said:
I think that's probably the problem with this one. I`d fix it myself but after looking at the 42 gauge wire I think i`ll pass. I`m going to rob a Bartolini out of my Washburn until I get a replacement and stick it in. It may sound decent with the mixture.

Hey, can I have your dead one? For some reason I like winding pickups :)

Toki987 said:
maybe "bought the farm, kicked the bucket, went tits up, shot it's wad, shet the bed, crapped out, fugged up, went out, fuggin quit, stopped working, won`t do it`s thing, took a dive, went south, bought it, went awol, Fubar'd , konked out, or maybe just isn't making continuity". In any case it`s dead.

I get it! :D :D :D (You forgot "croaked.")

Just never seen it happen.

Toki987 said:

'E's bleedin' deceased, 'e has ceased to be! 'E's an ex-pickup!

Or maybe it's just pinin' for the fjords...

As a matter of interest Bill Lawrence makes excellent bass pu's. I have one of his precision replacements and it is excellent and the lowest price. As he now makes one of his lines for Fender he might also have a replacement for the 5 string.
Worth a try.

Clive Hugh said:
As a matter of interest Bill Lawrence makes excellent bass pu's. I have one of his precision replacements and it is excellent and the lowest price. As he now makes one of his lines for Fender he might also have a replacement for the 5 string.
Worth a try.

Thanks, I'll take a peek and see. I have OBL's in an older 70`s jazz that sings. Fender`s replacement price isnt bad for the 5 string, but I may have a suspect feeling from now on, if I do put an original back in.

Toki987 said:
The neck pickup died last week. It just quit working suddenly, There is no short in the wiring harness, just a dead pickup.

Make sure you give it a nice funeral.

Back