Deal of a lifetime?

eyeteeth

I found an Argosy 90 Series desk that will fit my console for sale that the current owner is willing to deliver. $150 total!!!! :) :D :D I can't freakin' beleive it. I've been wanting a better desk for a loooong time and have been following the threads here on the DIY projects. But I don't think I could even get the material for that price. I thought the price was a typo.

I'll be updating the "show us your studio" thread once I get everything remodelled/reconfigured.

I got the desk the other night, haven't been able to put it together yet.

But...

I can't beleive Argosy charges over $2300 for these things... no wonder they're throwing in shipping and free chairs.

Don't get me wrong... they're nice... sharp... decently engineered peices of furniture. But wow.

My advice... find one used... or take a week or two and DIY.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited about the purchase and will be posting pictures once everything is up. :D

So here's a before and after shot... notice the open spaces in the desk? I'm waiting on some of those group buy pre-amps to fill up the desk.

Since I had to pull the whole console/rack/desk EVERYTHING out to put the new desk in. I figured now was as good of a time as any to patch and paint the walls. And since everything was out, and I had it sitting around, i decided to put a wood laminate floor in too.

On the desk... I made the rack on the right to match the rack on the left, and the little spacers to each side of the racks. Turned out pretty cool, and REALLY changed the feel of the room.

IMG_7152-vi.jpg

IMG_1322-vi.jpg

That is fantastic. *wants*

How does all the outboard equipment plug in beneath the desk? Do you have to crawl under there with a torch and patch it all in?

That is fantastic. *wants*

How does all the outboard equipment plug in beneath the desk? Do you have to crawl under there with a torch and patch it all in?

Yea, Pretty much.

The back pops off, and you can get in behind everything, then the middle section of the bottom is open, and what isn't has holes cut out for cable routing. Still, on this model, there are a few places that are very difficult to get at and you either have to wire the interface, then drop it in, or go by feel. The area behind my patch bays and my audio converters is one big mess o' cables.

It took the better part of a day to wire everything. But then, I had two kids running around, and a very sick wife so there were a lot of interruptions.

Wow - dramatic improvement. Congrats!

I can't wait to get started on my basement - moving in less than a week. You're just making me more and more anxious!

WOW! Killer grab, bro!

Did you find this guy on Craigslist?

One thing I love about living near Nashville is there is almost always just about anything musical you could want on there, including studio desks. Unfortunately the Argosy's that are on there are still expensive. :)

Love the painting and everything you did, too. Your room looks great!

What kind of patchbays are you using? Personally I'm planning on used ADCs. :)

Brandon

Yea, Pretty much.

The back pops off, and you can get in behind everything, then the middle section of the bottom is open, and what isn't has holes cut out for cable routing. Still, on this model, there are a few places that are very difficult to get at and you either have to wire the interface, then drop it in, or go by feel. The area behind my patch bays and my audio converters is one big mess o' cables.

It took the better part of a day to wire everything. But then, I had two kids running around, and a very sick wife so there were a lot of interruptions.

Cool. Does the console just sit in a recess or is it specifically designed for a brand or console with a certain number of channels? I only ask because yours seems to fit nicely. Wasnt sure if there was a frame system or something like that.

Cool. Does the console just sit in a recess or is it specifically designed for a brand or console with a certain number of channels? I only ask because yours seems to fit nicely. Wasnt sure if there was a frame system or something like that.

The console just sets in a recess. The console really wasn't intended for the mixer I have in it. It was designed for two Tascam DM24s. However for the price, I picked it up to try and adapt it. It's a little tall behind the mixer's meter board, but I'm OK with that. I made the rack to the right of the mixer to match the rack on the right that came with the desk. I also made the two spacers to the outside of each rack to fill the extra space.

I think Argosy has a standard Base. Then the top parts are interchangeable depending on what console it is intended for. Here is a link to the Argosy website for the actual model this desk started out as.
Argosy 90-2DM24-R
That will give you an idea of what i changed. Click on Features and it will give you an idea of the design.

Back