DAW with DP 24

SteveAlton

So I get really nice recordings from the DP 24. Editing would be easier on a Computer.

Should I go the Pro Tools route, or is it overkill?

I will probably want to still track on the DP 24 and mix on Computer

I started out with the DP32 and Reaper, I would export the files into reaper for Mixdown. it is a pain to export to the audio depot folder, then move into the DAW. and if you want to add a track after getting the files into the DAW you have to do it again, I have since went the full DAW route. it is much easier to record straight into the DAW. I still use the DP32 if I want to go somewhere and just record a few tracks, it is handy for that. I wish I would have saved the expense and went the DAW route from the start. for the cost of the Tascam you can get a nice interface, plus if you are going to use the Tascam only to record then do all of the mixdown work in the DAW, why not just save the steps and go to the DAW 1st?:D

I am doing a project at the moment where the client is recording at home on a DP32 and bringing the wav files to me for mixing. Works fine, he took the mix of the first song away and then decided to re-record the vocals and a guitar part. Dripped them into the mix and replaced the old parts and no problems at all. I don't understand this: it is a pain to export to the audio depot folder, then move into the DAW. and if you want to add a track after getting the files into the DAW you have to do it again as he does not seem to have any problems.

The only thing I am trying to get him to do is that he records everything as a stereo track, a single mic does not need to be recorded in stereo, a mono track is fine and it saves drive space.

Alan.

I am doing a project at the moment where the client is recording at home on a DP32 and bringing the wav files to me for mixing. Works fine, he took the mix of the first song away and then decided to re-record the vocals and a guitar part. Dripped them into the mix and replaced the old parts and no problems at all. I don't understand this: it is a pain to export to the audio depot folder, then move into the DAW. and if you want to add a track after getting the files into the DAW you have to do it again as he does not seem to have any problems.

The only thing I am trying to get him to do is that he records everything as a stereo track, a single mic does not need to be recorded in stereo, a mono track is fine and it saves drive space.

Alan.

On the DP after the tracks are recorded, if you want to move them somewhere else, such as another program you have to export them into the audio depot folder, then connect the DP via USB to a computer and drag them over, you can also remove the SD card and move them that way, but either way you have to export to the audio depot folder 1st. My point was, if all you are doing is using the DP to record, then you are really using it as an interface, not for effects, for mixdown, or mastering. It works very well as a portable unit, I still use my 32 that way. The OP stated he wanted to use another program to edit. Why not just record into the program to begin with? I have done it both ways, it is much easier using a interface into the DAW. :thumbs up:

Thanks all......Ordered Pro Tools....

Learning Curve will be steep....But it is time to get with the times....

Until I get up and running I still have my trusty DP 24

Back