DAW Users With ADD

Ok, this is way premature as we are still in the process of tracking, but I wanted some unbiased feedback. Thoughts on what this still needs? Volume levels? Effects? And anything else that strikes you.

The good news, it's still early enough to actually incorporate some of your feedback. :)

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=FB9221349A5A2CF2!108&cid=FB9221349A5A2CF2

Eye In The Sky

The guitar doesn't sit well in the mix and while the keyboard pad is at a good level, I don't like the patch. The solo vocal at the start is wimpy.I'm not real crazy about the guitar outro either.

I'm thinking you need to mix some more.............

The guitar doesn't sit well in the mix and while the keyboard pad is at a good level, I don't like the patch. The solo vocal at the start is wimpy.I'm not real crazy about the guitar outro either.

I'm thinking you need to mix some more.............
Thanks! That should help. Drums are OK? The lead singer thinks they're too loud. What the problem with the git outro? Tone? How it sits? Or what's played?

The drums are still driving me crazy. That recording is simply a mono audio feed from the kit. We tried the midi again this Friday, and the usb connection does not want to play nice with Sonar. So far it has caused two audio programs to freeze (Sonar and Wavelab), then it caused the drums to freeze (no audio output to my mixing board), and Sonar keeps telling me that I have a TD-11 assigned in the project, but it is not available. Despite the fact that Windows is seeing it fine. So I exit Sonar. Turn the TD-11 off, and then back on. Reenter Sonar and... the TD-11 device is not available. WTF!!

Never had any issues whatsoever using the midi ports on our former drummer's e-drums. Those were Rolands too. Not sure if this contributes, but the usb carries both audio and midi. I don't need the audio. All I want is the ability to record and playback via midi. :mad:

Thanks! That should help. Drums are OK? The lead singer thinks they're too loud. What the problem with the git outro? Tone? How it sits? Or what's played?

The drums are still driving me crazy. That recording is simply a mono audio feed from the kit. We tried the midi again this Friday, and the usb connection does not want to play nice with Sonar. So far it has caused two audio programs to freeze (Sonar and Wavelab), then it caused the drums to freeze (no audio output to my mixing board), and Sonar keeps telling me that I have a TD-11 assigned in the project, but it is not available. Despite the fact that Windows is seeing it fine. So I exit Sonar. Turn the TD-11 off, and then back on. Reenter Sonar and... the TD-11 device is not available. WTF!!

Never had any issues whatsoever using the midi ports on our former drummer's e-drums. Those were Rolands too. Not sure if this contributes, but the usb carries both audio and midi. I don't need the audio. All I want is the ability to record and playback via midi. :mad:

Turn off MIDI through. It sounds like you have a MIDI feedback loop.

I think the drums would benefit from a stereo spread.

I think the levels of the drums, keyboard and bass sound good. The chorus is the strong point but the guitar is sounding very slapped on rather than sitting in the mix.

Am I reading it wrong, or do you need a driver installed in your computer?

Driver installs automatically when you plug in the TD-11. It installed fine, and I can see it under Sounds in the Windows Control Panel. In fact, we were able to record from it the first night we tried (although that happened AFTER it froze Sonar once first). But eventually we got it working fine for recording. Couldn't play back through it though.

Next morning I read somewhere about turning Local Control off in the TD-11. I did that, and I was able to play back with no problems (although didn't attempt to record again that day).

Then a few days later, we tried to record again. First up, we couldn't get any audio whatsoever out of the e-drums. Didn't make sense, since the audio is from a 1/4" jack, and shouldn't have anything to do with the midi. But I figured the only thing we touched was that Local Control setting, so I reset it to the original setting.

That fixed the audio. But couldn't get the midi to work at all. Sonar kept telling us there was no TD-11 device - even though there was. Then the drums would freeze. Had to shut them down and turn them back on to get them to work.

The manual is for shit. It has half a page on the usb port, and it mostly just tells you that the driver needs to be installed, and that it will install itself once plugged in. (Thanks for the help. :rolleyes: )

There aren't many controls in the midi section of the TD-11 settings. But the manual doesn't even address them, or what they are for. I only found the Local Control thing by going online.

There is a Midi Lock Setting, which we found (by trial and error) needs to be Off in order to use midi. There is the midi channel, of course - set to 10. Local Control. Note Chase. Program Change Tx, and Program Change Rx. No idea what those last three are for, but two are on and the Tx is off.

Again, however the only settings we ever changed were the Midi Lock and the Local Control, and we were to both record and playback, at least at one point.

There used to be Midi setting within Windows. But I don't see those any longer in Windows 10. As stated, the TD-11 shows up in the Control Panel, but it appears to be the audio portion, since it is group together with my Delta 1010 Sound Card settings. The Delta has midi ports, but I don't see them under Windows.

Of course, the other issue is we were doing this with the entire band present. So rather then waste everyone's time while we tried to figure it out, we finally just gave up. The drummer is coming back on Wednesday, and maybe with just me and him here we can get it resolved. Although, to be honest, I'm not even sure what to try and this point. :(

Turn off MIDI through. It sounds like you have a MIDI feedback loop.

I think the drums would benefit from a stereo spread.
There is no midi through in the TD-11. Or are you referring to Sonar?

Plan B will be to record he drums via Audio in stereo. My experience with e-drums, though, is the spread is pretty minor. In the past when we did midi and I had control over each drum, I did a much wider spread than the Roland gives you.

There is no midi through in the TD-11. Or are you referring to Sonar?

Plan B will be to record he drums via Audio in stereo. My experience with e-drums, though, is the spread is pretty minor. In the past when we did midi and I had control over each drum, I did a much wider spread than the Roland gives you.
I'm thinking back to my old drum machine.

I would look into your SONAR input settings and see if you have a separate audio and MIDI inputs for the TD.The audio input should be off in the control panel.

I'm thinking back to my old drum machine.

I would look into your SONAR input settings and see if you have a separate audio and MIDI inputs for the TD.The audio input should be off in the control panel.

I got it to work fine just now. Although I'm still clueless as to what did it.

First I changed some of the settings on the TD-11. I turned both Program Change Rx and Tx to on (one was on already), and I turned off Note Chase. Then I went into Windows Control Panel. The TD-11 was there, and it was the default audio device for both playback and recording. I reassigned the default for both to my Delta Sound Card.

Then I started up Sonar. I got a message that one of my devices was missing - the TD-11 - and it asked if I wanted to reassign the midi ports. I said no, and went into Preferences. The TD-11 was grayed out under audio devices (could not select it - which is fine, because I didn't want it for audio anyway). It was, however, available under midi devices, but it was unchecked. It checked it and exited Sonar. It asked if I wanted to save the changes before exiting, and I did. Restarted Sonar, and did not get the error message his time. Added a midi track, and was able to record a track and play it back.

I'm not claiming success, yet, as I've been here before. But this is the first time I was able to both record and playback in one session. AND I did it without having to further change any settings on the TD-11. (The last time it seemed I had to turn off local control to get it to playback.)

I did find out what Local Control does. Apparently it stops the TD-11 from putting out any audio, and forces the audio to be triggered from the midi software. Apparently it is to deal with latency issues. With Local Control = On, you could possibly hear a double drum hit. One from it's internal audio, and then an echo from the midi signal being looped back. My rig appears to be sufficient enough that that isn't an issue. I played along to a track and had no echo with the Local Control being on.

Anyway, stay tuned. Who knows what's going to happen next time. :D

I got it to work fine just now. Although I'm still clueless as to what did it.

First I changed some of the settings on the TD-11. I turned both Program Change Rx and Tx to on (one was on already), and I turned off Note Chase. Then I went into Windows Control Panel. The TD-11 was there, and it was the default audio device for both playback and recording. I reassigned the default for both to my Delta Sound Card.

Then I started up Sonar. I got a message that one of my devices was missing - the TD-11 - and it asked if I wanted to reassign the midi ports. I said no, and went into Preferences. The TD-11 was grayed out under audio devices (could not select it - which is fine, because I didn't want it for audio anyway). It was, however, available under midi devices, but it was unchecked. It checked it and exited Sonar. It asked if I wanted to save the changes before exiting, and I did. Restarted Sonar, and did not get the error message his time. Added a midi track, and was able to record a track and play it back.

I'm not claiming success, yet, as I've been here before. But this is the first time I was able to both record and playback in one session. AND I did it without having to further change any settings on the TD-11. (The last time it seemed I had to turn off local control to get it to playback.)

I did find out what Local Control does. Apparently it stops the TD-11 from putting out any audio, and forces the audio to be triggered from the midi software. Apparently it is to deal with latency issues. With Local Control = On, you could possibly hear a double drum hit. One from it's internal audio, and then an echo from the midi signal being looped back. My rig appears to be sufficient enough that that isn't an issue. I played along to a track and had no echo with the Local Control being on.

Anyway, stay tuned. Who knows what's going to happen next time. :D

There have been times when I've tried to perform a task in SONAR that I've done many times before and from seemingly nowhere mass confusion arrives.

There have been times when I've tried to perform a task in SONAR that I've done many times before and from seemingly nowhere mass confusion arrives.
A thought struck me. Actually a couple.

First, the drummer usually takes his equipment home with him each week. So when I open the project to mix during the week, I of course get an error message telling me there's no TD-11 device. I know there isn't. Duh! It asks if I want to reassign the midi out. I say no. To me that should leave everything intact, until the TD-11 is available again. But this past Friday it kept telling me it wasn't available, even when it was. And yes I did make sure it was checked as a device within Sonar.

Now I don't know if not having the TD-11 available intermittently is causing issues. It shouldn't in my mind, but who knows. And of course once we get the midi recorded, and then each drum re-recorded to audio, it will no longer matter.

The other odd thing is normally when you have a usb device plugged into Windows, you have to tell Windows when you want to unplug it. There is an icon you click to remove device, and a menu pops up showing the connected devices. However, the TD-11 is not among them. Even this morning when all was working ok. :confused:

Anyway, I'm suspicious that the cause was having Windows assign the TD1-11 as the main audio device. I think this might happen everytime you plug it in. So next time I will check and reassign it before opening Sonar.

The Britins
A local Beatles tribute band that has been around forever. The members have changed over the years unlike their set list. They do a really good job and have steady bookings.
The first thing I noticed were sounds that weren't being played by the musicians, and a laptop on stage. I'm guessing they were plying along with a sequencer of some sort. Not a lot of stuff, but enough to fill out the songs clser to the recorded versions.
The vocals were really goiod too, I couldn't tell if it was years of practice, technical enhancement or a bit of both.
Finally...NO AMPS! I'm guessing this helps the set up quite a bit. I know people are playing through simulators and such, but as far as I recall, this is the first time I saw a whole band with no amps.

Attachments

• 13900152_1617324421931541_5270192900735917314_n.jpg
    13900152_1617324421931541_5270192900735917314_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 13886394_1617324388598211_8141859013105187152_n.jpg
    13886394_1617324388598211_8141859013105187152_n.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 8
Well that sure makes for a easy load in load out.... backing tracks and amp sims I suppose...Though I don't see any laptops or ipads on stage they may be using one of the new all in one mixers out there like the Behringer xr18

Would sure like to figure out how to pull that off ...loading amps in and out sucks...With the Nord leslie emulator I was finally able to eliminate the leslie

The Britins
A local Beatles tribute band that has been around forever. The members have changed over the years unlike their set list. They do a really good job and have steady bookings.
The first thing I noticed were sounds that weren't being played by the musicians, and a laptop on stage. I'm guessing they were plying along with a sequencer of some sort. Not a lot of stuff, but enough to fill out the songs clser to the recorded versions.
The vocals were really goiod too, I couldn't tell if it was years of practice, technical enhancement or a bit of both.
Finally...NO AMPS! I'm guessing this helps the set up quite a bit. I know people are playing through simulators and such, but as far as I recall, this is the first time I saw a whole band with no amps.
I saw one a few years back called the Fab Faux. Excellent. Two of the musicians were from Letterman's house band, I believe. Although they didn't try to mimic the Beatles vocals, they played their songs note for note. They would do shows where they play an entire Beatles album, like Sgt Pepper.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhDCIftfdA

See what you can do when everyone sings. :)

As an update, I tried the usb midi connection to the Roland e-drums again today. First I plugged it in to the computer without Sonar being open. Checked in Control Panel. It showed the TD-11 as a valid device. I had expected it to have been named the default device, but that didn't happen. My Delta soundcard remained as the default device. As it should.

I then launched Sonar, and got no error messages. Added a midi track. Recorded to it. Played it back. All without issues.

Not sure what's changed, but it appears to be working exactly like it should at this point. Drummer is coming here on Wed., so hopefully we can actually accomplish something this time.

Back