DAW Users With ADD

In my experience the USB MIDI works exactly like the cable, this is why they probably omitted the in jack. MIDI multi pin jacks are legacy stuff right now, why have ten different types of cable when one will do. In fact my old MIDI interface was connected by USB.

I would be recording the keyboard player with MIDI also, whether he knows it or not, he IS playing MIDI notes unless he is using vintage keyboards.

I'm sure you're right. My concern is that the midi ports are on my Delta sound card, whereas the usb is on the computer. But as long as Sonar sees it, it should be no issue.

I quit!
Doing sidework in bad neighborhoods. I lost my mind a little bit yesterday and gave up on yet another steady customer. The money was good, but not enough to get robbed or killed for. I've also been making a point of enjoying my free time, imagine that.:rolleyes:

The thing is, after years of working six+ days a week, I feel guilty only working forty hours.:(

Sad:(
My sister in law passed away yesterday. I don't know what from as I haven't seen her in years. She abandoned her family to pursue a life of drug addiction, unfortunately my brother did the same and now there's a twelve year old who is being taken care of by his grandfather, making a sad situation sadder. My brother is still alive in the physical sense, but not for long the way things are going.

The weather
Hot, humid and generally miserable.

LATER!!!

Sorry to hear about your brother. Nothing worse than watching someone you love ruin (and eventually, lose) their life...

Sorry to hear about your brother. Nothing worse than watching someone you love ruin (and eventually, lose) their life...

I already lost one the same way. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the eye of the hurricane with all the things that are happening around me.

I already lost one the same way. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the eye of the hurricane with all the things that are happening around me.
You're not responsible for other people's bad decisions. Sadly, they make their own choices. :(

Doesn't remove the pain, though. My son had his run in with first, prescription drugs, and then heroin. He seems to have straightened out now that he's a father himself, but you just never know. Once they go down that path, it's hard to not feel they'll be back on it again at some point. I truly hope I'm wrong, and being responsible for another life is maybe the answer for him. [fingers crossed]

You're not responsible for other people's bad decisions. Sadly, they make their own choices. :(

Doesn't remove the pain, though. My son had his run in with first, prescription drugs, and then heroin. He seems to have straightened out now that he's a father himself, but you just never know. Once they go down that path, it's hard to not feel they'll be back on it again at some point. I truly hope I'm wrong, and being responsible for another life is maybe the answer for him. [fingers crossed]

I'm not sure if having responsibilities straightened my life out, or if I straightened my life out and became responsible, but either way I'm glad it worked out like it did.

Everybody is different, all four of us grew up in the same house, same parents and yet.....

Yo Cheesehead, you from Wisconsin? tryin to figure out the name..

Likewise Dachay2tnr got me stumped on what your name is supposed to represent...

Yo Cheesehead, you from Wisconsin? tryin to figure out the name..

Likewise Dachay2tnr got me stumped on what your name is supposed to represent...

I'm acidrock, and I'm from Wisconsin. We met at JF 06. This is my username from a banning incident.:rolleyes:

In my experience the USB MIDI works exactly like the cable, this is why they probably omitted the in jack. MIDI multi pin jacks are legacy stuff right now, why have ten different types of cable when one will do. In fact my old MIDI interface was connected by USB.
OK, after a few fits and starts, I got the USB midi working within Sonar. When we first set it up, we were able to record with no problems. The Roland TD-11 showed up under both midi recording and midi playback. I selected it and we recorded a track easy peasy.

BUT... couldn't get it to playback to save my life. Spent an hour or two on it last night. I was able to get it to playback using software bundled with Sonar, but the sounds were crap, and the mapping was different. In other words, there were times when he played a tom tom, but the software played a splash cymbal. Easily fixed, but why bother when the sounds sucked anyway.

Finally went online this morning and found there is a setting in the Roland E-drums called Local Control. It needs to be set to Off, and, of course, the setting default was On. Once I changed that, all behaved perfectly. Of course by this time the drummer had gone home, and he is now a bit gun shy about midi in general.

It's like telling him about this car that drives itself, but the first time he gets in, it takes him to the dry cleaners when he actually wanted to go to the supermarket. Now he's not sure he wants to get in the car again. I mean, why bother, when in his mind he can just drive himself to the supermarket and not worry about ending up at the dry cleaners. :rolleyes:

Difficult to explain to a Luddite that you now know why it went to the dry cleaners, and have fixed the issue. :D

I sang second tenor in an acapella group called the Dachays. I would have just gone with Dachay, but one other group menber beat me to it. :D

I was also at one jamfest in CT. Unlike Acidrock, however, I don't remember what year - I blame it on drugs and alcohol. :confused: Don't think we met though.

OK, after a few fits and starts, I got the USB midi working within Sonar. When we first set it up, we were able to record with no problems. The Roland TD-11 showed up under both midi recording and midi playback. I selected it and we recorded a track easy peasy.

BUT... couldn't get it to playback to save my life. Spent an hour or two on it last night. I was able to get it to playback using software bundled with Sonar, but the sounds were crap, and the mapping was different. In other words, there were times when he played a tom tom, but the software played a splash cymbal. Easily fixed, but why bother when the sounds sucked anyway.

Finally went online this morning and found there is a setting in the Roland E-drums called Local Control. It needs to be set to Off, and, of course, the setting default was On. Once I changed that, all behaved perfectly. Of course by this time the drummer had gone home, and he is now a bit gun shy about midi in general.

It's like telling him about this car that drives itself, but the first time he gets in, it takes him to the dry cleaners when he actually wanted to go to the supermarket. Now he's not sure he wants to get in the car again. I mean, why bother, when in his mind he can just drive himself to the supermarket and not worry about ending up at the dry cleaners. :rolleyes:

Difficult to explain to a Luddite that you now know why it went to the dry cleaners, and have fixed the issue. :D

The objective way to think of it is, his drumkit IS a midi controller, it connects to a sound module. MIDI commands have 128 points of adjustment, and any command sent to the sound module will be no different than the one you record. How the different sound modules react to the commands is where the difference lies.

The first most obvious advantage is the ability to flawlessly edit the data as opposed to editing audio, the second that you can actually change the sounds after the fact. Even if you decide to use the module for the sounds you always have a way back.

It's 2016 and you don't have any good drum sounds in your rig. SMH.

The first most obvious advantage is the ability to flawlessly edit the data as opposed to editing audio, the second that you can actually change the sounds after the fact. Even if you decide to use the module for the sounds you always have a way back.
You don't have to sell me. That's why i wanted to record him via midi in the first place.

However, he seems to coming around. He's amazed I can get every drum or cymbal on it's own separate track.

He's amazed I can get every drum or cymbal on it's own separate track.

As much of a disappointment that PA9 was on the audio side, when I saw what I could do with MIDI I was hooked. My computer was too weak to play much for sounds, but I had a nice Roland synth that was multitimbral and a Boss drum machine that I could trigger. So I had sixteen tracks of keyboard sounds plus drums that I could play along with the computer audio. It's just too bad that I couldn't play keys.:rolleyes:

The big deal is that drums are way harder to record than guitars and vocals and MIDI makes it a snap.

Is the keyboard player next?

My first home recordings were done with Cakewalk and 100% Soundfonts on a high end Yamaha sound card. Everything mixed down to two tracks and into a nice Tascam 4 channel cassette, then add vocal. I still have those tapes somewhere, but of course they're 7.5 or 15ips, so not playable unless you have the original deck or like chipmunks...No reverbs, no comps, no echoes...did all that with midi. Everything was midi. It was a good exercise!

I remember having the option to use one of your tracks on a cassette recorder for a time strip that midi could sync to. Never did it though....

Sweet Applewood

....fest, tonight. Time to rub shoulds and spill beers on Cudahy's finest.:drunk:

LATER!!!

Back