DAW Users With ADD

Bass player showed again tonight. I guess things are looking up. Pretty good practice all in all. The keyboard guy is starting to get pretty comfortable, and the bass player was a tad better second time out of the box.

I take it your new guys are not only more musically competent, but more gear competent as well? I remember your ex bass player was giving you fits.

Ever hear anything from your ex band mates?

The weekend

Will be spent cleaning the house and cooking for Mothers day.

LATER!!!

We had a bass player join us last night. The guy hasn't played in a few years, and mostly didn't know the songs, but it didn't sound half bad nonetheless. I can imagine once he gets his chops back and gets familiar with the material, it could sound pretty good. However, he's not ready to commit. He wants to check with "the wife" before he can manage coming over every Friday night.

You guys and your wives. :rolleyes: Exactly who is the captain of this ship? (Like I need to ask.)

I am the head of my household. My wife is the neck that turns it. :laughings:

Bit the bullet and got myself an iPhone this week. I have unlimited calling, so if anyone wants to hear from me, just let me know. :D Or I could send you a text.

Bit the bullet and got myself an iPhone this week. I have unlimited calling, so if anyone wants to hear from me, just let me know. :D Or I could send you a text.

I thought you were anti-Apple, did you give in to peer pressure?

My flip phone has still got a few good years left in it:thumbs up:. I must admit, the video quality is better on their phones than my old Flip camera, OTOH, I no longer am in charge of taking pictures. :)

My flip phone has still got a few good years left in it:thumbs up:. I must admit, the video quality is better on their phones than my old Flip camera, OTOH, I no longer am in charge of taking pictures. :)

Funny to me. :) I have a flip phone with no camera, no anything. Doesn't send texts (well, it does, but I don't), doesn't play games. Just makes phone calls. Phone cost $7.50. Yearly recharge is $100. My monthly phone bill is less than $8.50. My wife is a Guardian of the Galaxy, die hard Samsung user...she's on a plan with her mum and pays $50 per month. Our bill before that plan was $85 per month for her phone. She barely ever turns on her computer. What does she need a computer for?

I am not an Apple fan at all, but I did give into peer pressure - mostly from my kids. It started a few months ago when I wanted to get a tablet so I could video chat with my grandkid(s). There are several apps out there to video chat, but I couldn't get my kids to install any of them. They told me to use FaceTime. Of course that comes free with Apple products, and it's the only way you can get it. So I caved and got an iPad. When it came to a phone, the iPhone made sense because it would work in conjunction with my iPad (i.e., share contacts and calendar, and so on).

I'm sure this will be a somewhat frivolous purchase for me. But the alternative is to leave all my money to my kids. :eek: Why would I want to do that when I could be spending it.

Funny to me. :) I have a flip phone with no camera, no anything. Doesn't send texts (well, it does, but I don't), doesn't play games. Just makes phone calls. Phone cost $7.50. Yearly recharge is $100. My monthly phone bill is less than $8.50. My wife is a Guardian of the Galaxy, die hard Samsung user...she's on a plan with her mum and pays $50 per month. Our bill before that plan was $85 per month for her phone. She barely ever turns on her computer. What does she need a computer for?

I had you beat. Prior to the new phone my plan cost me $10 every three months. Less than $4/month. And my phone had a camera (which I never used). :) I did, however, send an occasional text message.

Funny to me. :) She barely ever turns on her computer. What does she need a computer for?
I'm guessing that's the trend, it most certainly is amongst the people I know. I think the days of people doing meaningful tasks on computers has peaked and now computational devices are just for sending pictures and finding directions.

I'm guessing that's the trend, it most certainly is amongst the people I know. I think the days of people doing meaningful tasks on computers has peaked and now computational devices are just for sending pictures and finding directions.
And updating your Facebook page.

Facebook

And updating your Facebook page.

I don't know how I ever got by not knowing what people were eating and not seeing and endless stream of selfies.

The weekend
No obligations again, I could get used to this. Seasonal weather, great for working in the yard.

LATER!!!

Facebook

I don't know how I ever got by not knowing what people were eating and not seeing and endless stream of selfies.
LATER!!!
Mmmmmmm. Just had cheese eggs, Taylor pork roll, and an English muffin for breakfast. Now sitting back and enjoying a coffee. And I'm about to scratch my balls. :D

Had the new iPhone for 4 days now and I've received one phone call. The one where I asked my daughter to call me to make sure the phone was working. :o. :(

I've spent more time charging it than using it.

Had the new iPhone for 4 days now and I've received one phone call. The one where I asked my daughter to call me to make sure the phone was working. :o. :(

I've spent more time charging it than using it.

I didn't know you could use an Iphone to make a phone call.:rolleyes:

Maybe you should use it as your recording rig.

Maybe you should use it as your recording rig.
I think there's a lot of hip hop artists that do exactly that. Hey, there's a thought! Maybe I'll become a hip hop artist. I'll need a name, though. DJ Swollen Prostate, or something like that.

Last edited:
I'm mulling around the idea of picking up a mandolin. An acoustic-electric version most likely, so I can use it with the band. They have Fender's or Ibanez's available at around $200. They're probably pieces of schitt in that price range, but I don't really want to spend a lot on it. . . for a variety of reasons.

I'm worried that my stubby little fingers will make it hard for me to play. :(

I decided on a mandolin, rather than going for a fake instrument like, you know, say a ukulele. :)

I'm mulling around the idea of picking up a mandolin. An acoustic-electric version most likely, so I can use it with the band. They have Fender's or Ibanez's available at around $200. They're probably pieces of schitt in that price range, but I don't really want to spend a lot on it. . . for a variety of reasons.

I'm worried that my stubby little fingers will make it hard for me to play. :(

I decided on a mandolin, rather than going for a fake instrument like, you know, say a ukulele. :)

I have a Fender with a pickup, I'm guessing the Ibanez and Epiphones are all made in the same factory and are just licensed products. The Fender is playable, the pickup is very low out put and because it's plywood the sound is not as complex or nuanced as an all wood mandolin. It will cut above the mix by virtue of it's range.

Mandolins play like upside down inverted guitars but you might still want a chord/scale book. I highly recommend going out and playing a few so you can hear what I'm talking about sound wise.

A little more than you care to spend....

Fender Robert Schmidt Mandolin Walnut Stain | Musician's Friend

Back