DAW Users With ADD

Filling up with gas is a real drag. As for oil, this is done at the service and not in between ;) I love driving nice cars, hate doing anything with them:o

Hope all the family sickness gets better, Guy. Since our kids left school we are all healthier.:)

Do you guys pump your own, or do they make attendants do it over there? In Idaho, we pump our own. I've only seen 2 full service gas staions here that will do it, and it costs about 50 cents a gallon extra for that. They pinch the old folk and people with disabilities.

Do you guys pump your own, or do they make attendants do it over there? In Idaho, we pump our own. I've only seen 2 full service gas staions here that will do it, and it costs about 50 cents a gallon extra for that. They pinch the old folk and people with disabilities.

Generally, we pump our own but there is a garage in the next village to us that does it the old fashioned way.

I used to sometimes send my secretary to fill my car up. :) But that was in the bad old days before email and before secretaries were consigned to history. Now we have team administrators.:(

I cannot remember the last time I sent a letter with my signature on it. Apart from contract documentation. Today its all email and mobile calls.:cool:

Generally, we pump our own secretaries. But that was in the bad old days before secretaries were consigned to history. Now we have to pump team administrators.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Guy will be pleased to know that I had to take the snow shovel out of storage and clean about two inches of snow off the walk today. :(

It would've been nice to make an entire winter without using that damn shovel. We can generally get snow here until the end of March. Now that the ice has been broken - so to say - I realize there are still another 5-6 weeks left of winter.

Guy will be pleased to know that I had to take the snow shovel out of storage and clean about two inches of snow off the walk today. :(
Two inches and you complaining?:confused:
From what I can gather two inches of anything is a lot in your book.:p

I used to sometimes send my secretary to fill my car up. But that was in the bad old days before email and before secretaries were consigned to history. Now we have team administrators.

I cannot remember the last time I sent a letter with my signature on it. Apart from contract documentation. Today its all email and mobile calls.
It used to be those big places had executive diningrooms/clubs and heated parking.I'm sure there were other perks us knuckledragging bluecollar types could only dream of.:eek:

More business talk
I don't recall if I've had this conversation with youse business types,but I have a brother-inlaw who I have talked to about it and the question was"With todays internet and visual conferene kinda stuff they have today,why do you need to do so much business travel?"His answer was"Because some things just get done better in person".I of course thought this was the stock answer as a front for a partyboy getaway but due to recent developments have changed my mind on the subject.
You see our children's school has a new principal this year and he insists all comunications be made by E-mail.He works in the same building as everyone else but never leaves his office.He sucks at his job and it has changed the way I look at the whole face to face thing.

LATER!!!!

More business talk
I don't recall if I've had this conversation with youse business types,but I have a brother-inlaw who I have talked to about it and the question was"With todays internet and visual conferene kinda stuff they have today,why do you need to do so much business travel?"His answer was"Because some things just get done better in person".I of course thought this was the stock answer as a front for a partyboy getaway but due to recent developments have changed my mind on the subject.
You see our children's school has a new principal this year and he insists all comunications be made by E-mail.He works in the same building as everyone else but never leaves his office.He sucks at his job and it has changed the way I look at the whole face to face thing.
No doubt about it. Would you make a major purchase from someone who you only knew through e-mail or video conferencing? I'm not talking about a production line item, like a digital camera or a sound card. In those cases you know what it is you want to buy, so it's simply a matter of who's got the best price. But say something like a kitchen remodeling job. Would you send a third of the price as down payment to someone who bid on the job via an e-mail. (And if the answer is yes, I want to bid on your next remodeling job. :) )

If I'm buying services for my business, I want the guy to see my operation, meet my people, look me in the eye, and know that if something goes wrong (it always does), I can grab the guy by the collar and tell him to get it fixed.

It's really a matter of trust, and it's hard to trust an e-mail. I'm sure Paul can elaborate even more on this. (It's what pays for all his vacations.) :D

Guy, a very interesting question. When I first started my current job, I was told that I'd need to spend 3 months at the plant site in LA, coming home only on alternating weekends, returning on Monday. At home only four days per month.
Prior to signing my offer, I reworked the schedule to what I could live with: Down there for two weeks, back for one, working at the office while in MA.
They agreed, and by the time I was done with my first week at the office I had incorprated techniques that I could use to communicate with peole at the plant without going there. I was able to limit my commitment to less than one week per month. Turns out, even with that, I'm doing mostly "face time" there. Representing my company and taking whatever lumps the client and general contractor need to toss my way while I am there. Conveying my company's message that "we care."

Home again!
There's only three people working today and I'm not one of them.We're that slow even though the company probably lost two weeks of man hours to the flu over the last week and a half.:(
Watchagonnado?
The principal
The joke between my wife and I is that he should work at home because he could be equally ineffective from there.

I'm going to post something later that maybe someone here can add something to,I just have to do a rough mix.

LATER!!!

More business talk

LATER!!!!

This is a very interesting topic and the source of much research and discussion at many levels.

Firstly, Mike is right about the sales aspect of face to face. Much of what I get involved in is cross culture selling (which adds another whole dimension to face to face vs remote contact) plus the sales is typically $millions, and it sometimes involves teams of people on both sides many months and even years to negotiate. For that, there is no question - only face to face works.

At the lower levels of contact, you can only do so much over a phone or on email. People also have varying affiliation needs - some require constant company and others are loners and happy with their own company. Others are all points in between.

Difficult conversations are also best done face to face. Firing people by text is a no-no;) But also telling people face to face that they are doing a good job needs f2f too.:) Same as long or complex issues.

Video conferencing is still crap - not enough bandwidth and it requires discipline to get it right. Teleconferencing, which I do a lot of, also needs tight discipline to get it to work right. You listen, don't interupt, say what needs to be said and then wait for the feedback. It is not the same as a call between friends or family.;) Especially with more people on the call.

The Principal example you gave is a study in bad management. He is either afraid of human contact or has a very low affiliation need AND poor self awareness.

Chuck's example is how to get the balance right - some degree of humankind contact with a mix of arms length calls and email.

Business is best done between people, not spreadsheets, forms and email which is why the airline industry will continue to charge top dollar for business type flights:)

Lecture over :rolleyes:

On the other hand, Chuck, Guy, and myself have managed to create musical masterpieces together without ever having had to suffer each other's company face-to-face. :D :D

On the other hand, Chuck, Guy, and myself have managed to create musical masterpieces together without ever having had to suffer each other's company face-to-face. :D :D

Which segues nicely into....

Lucy!
A few years back I posted a primitive version of a song I wrote and I'm re-doing it.I've got a guitar,bass and vocal track played against a drum loop,if any one wants a piece of this(or all of it:D) take a stab at it.If no one does that's okay too,it's not that I can't do the parts,it's just nice to get someone elses take on something.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2058&alid=-1

I've got another song that's much closer but I'm waiting on a friend for some lead work(maybe),plus I've got a backlog of dumb ideas that I'd like to dust off whilst I'm enjoying the downturn.:rolleyes:

Which segues nicely into....

Lucy!
A few years back I posted a primitive version of a song I wrote and I'm re-doing it.I've got a guitar,bass and vocal track played against a drum loop,if any one wants a piece of this(or all of it:D) take a stab at it.If no one does that's okay too,it's not that I can't do the parts,it's just nice to get someone elses take on something.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2058&alid=-1

I've got another song that's much closer but I'm waiting on a friend for some lead work(maybe),plus I've got a backlog of dumb ideas that I'd like to dust off whilst I'm enjoying the downturn.:rolleyes:

I'll give some drums a try...may not be anything spectacular, but maybe you can use them....:D

This is kinda where I'm heading with this...

This is mainly just the overheads so you can hear what I'm trying.

Back