DA-2496 vs Delta 1010

Shakuan

Any of you guys experienced both of these cards and can give a good comparison? I don't have much experience at all (in fact, none) and I wouldn't want to spend so much money on something just to find a month after that I chose the wrong soundcard.

I mean, those 2 cards are very similar right? I think they bot have what I need (a couple ins and outs, breakout box, good converter) so should I go with the one that looks prettier to me? They both run for around the same price from what I've seen.

All I want is a good soundcard offering the possibility to record my drums with a couple mics. Of course I'll be recording vocals and guitars too.

I just installed a 1010....works great....good converters....
software is ok too....

a 1010 might be a bit much....how many mics do you need?

a 1010 has ten I/Os.....you could get a four I/O card for less than half the money of the 1010.......

I don't know the DA 2496...

take it easy man,
Joe

Thanks to both of you.

I think I gave the wrong impression about what I wanna do when I said : "All I want is a good soundcard offering the possibility to record my drums with a couple mics. Of course I'll be recording vocals and guitars too."

I'm really serious about recording, I don't want anything cheap at 99$ :D

I'm willing to put up to 1k for the good soundcard, and 8 to 10 inputs is what I need.

Now after shoping alot on the web for that soundcard, and reading many topics on this bbs, I found alot of info on the Delta-1010 and I know what to expect from that card. In fact, I had decided to buy a Delta-1010, but then I found that Edirol DA-2496 card and it looks even better than the Delta-1010 for around the same price. Also, I haven't found much info on that particular card here.

The thing is, I can't find any place that has good soundcards to sell where I live. They don't have them in stock so I just can't compare them myself.

That's why I'm really anxious to hear more about the DA-2496. I've seen reviews on the web, but I wanna know if it's fake or real you know. I've seen somewhere that a reviewer tested both 1010 and da-2496 and he gave 9/10 to the DA-2496 and 6/10 to the 1010. Really suspicious... or maybe not?

Shakuan said:

That's why I'm really anxious to hear more about the DA-2496. I've seen reviews on the web, but I wanna know if it's fake or real you know. I've seen somewhere that a reviewer tested both 1010 and da-2496 and he gave 9/10 to the DA-2496 and 6/10 to the 1010. Really suspicious... or maybe not?

I'd have to see what the reviewer is basing his review comments on. I'm a 1010 owner and it's been a great system.
Look at the DA-2496 dynamic range spec and compare it to the 1010. Not that specs are the only thing to look at, they are not but that's one spec that will usually show higher end gear having higher end dynamic range.

These are looking interesting...

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/PHASE-88-Shipping.html

Ok I looked for the dynamic range specs and this is what I found:

DA 2496 :: 105.4 dB
Delta-1010 :: 114 dB

Also, the noise floor for the DA-2496 seems to be a little higher than the 1010's.

But I still don't know if that's significant enough to choose the delta over the da-2496.

therage!, it seems to be a good unit too (the link u posted). I'm looking for something that is easy rackmountable tho. I dont really like the way that breakout box is.

Here's a link to the Edirol DA-2496
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/da2496.html
and a link to the m-audio delta-1010
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.focus&ID=25a8eb75ad625b157c03ca63d4eb5c72

therage! said:
I'd have to see what the reviewer is basing his review comments on. I'm a 1010 owner and it's been a great system.
Look at the DA-2496 dynamic range spec and compare it to the 1010. Not that specs are the only thing to look at, they are not but that's one spec that will usually show higher end gear having higher end dynamic range.

These are looking interesting...

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/PHASE-88-Shipping.html

your forgetting that m-audio's spec's are full of sh!t...check out the noise floor on your card i guarantee you it doesn't go to -100db....and i think they claim like -110db or something...i haven't heard the edirol but the m-audio is a prosumer card leaning towards the consumer side....

Teacher, that soundcard seems to be of better quality no doubt (even my mother could tell just by the price :P )

but seriously, it sucks that it doesnt have a breakout box.. basically it forces you to use a patchbay right? Cause those wires coming out of the card have no where to go!! :( Or maybe there's a magical solution and I just don't get it.

Teacher said:
your forgetting that m-audio's spec's are full of sh!t...check out the noise floor on your card i guarantee you it doesn't go to -100db....and i think they claim like -110db or something...i haven't heard the edirol but the m-audio is a prosumer card leaning towards the consumer side....

I hate getting into specs. You might be right about MAudio. That 114 db spec on the 1010 is higher than when I bought my 1010. Strange:confused:

Ok I think I get the point and the Lynx Two "C" looks more and more interesting cause of the sound quality, but here's another question. If I go with the Lynx 6ins/2outs model, it means I wont be able to listen to 5.1 audio from my computer into my 5.1 home theater setup right? I would have to mix down the 5.1 to 1 track first? (wow I feel that belongs in the newbie section ehhe)

Back