Cymbal Comparison

Tekker

This is something I had saved off of this site in a Word document from about 6 years ago. (Here is the original thread) So I thought I'd post this again to see where the newer cymbal models that have come out since then rank in this list.

I know this is a subjective topic, but let's see how this goes. ;) There are some things however that are widely accepted, such as avoid the ZBT's. :D

Also, if you want to add which brands and models work best (or worst) for certain styles of music, this would be very helpful as well.

Zildjian

ZBT (worst)
ZBT-Plus
Z Custom
A Zildjian
A Custom
K Zildjian
K Custom (best)

Sabian

B8 (worst)
B8 Pro
AA
AAX
HH (best)

Paiste

302 (worst)
Alpha
Innovation
Dimensions
Signature (best)

I'll try to edit this post and update the list as necessary as I think this will be a great reference. :)

-tkr

Last edited:
Totally disagree. Once you get into the pro lines, its entirely subjective. I like Zildjian As over A Customs, Ks, and K Customs, for example.

EDIT: Also, you left out half of Sabian's lineup, and Paiste no longer makes 502s and 802s.

Last edited:
This isn't my list, I only have real experience with the lower models from each brand as I don't have $1k+ to throw at cymbals at the moment. The list was from the thread I mentioned above which I had saved in a word document several years ago and just recently discovered again. I did a search here for cymbal comparison and ratings and didn't find anything like this, and I thought it might be an idea to try to put a ball-park comparison list together.

The 502's and 802's are removed. What would you consider the pro lines to be for each brand?

-tkr

The PST3 and PST5 replaced the 502 and 802 respectively.

What are technically considered pro lines (which I may or may not agree with, Z Customs are pro but I think they're shit):

Zildjian: Z Customs, A, A Customs, K, K Customs

Sabian: AA, AAX, HH, HHX, Vaults

Paiste: 2002, Signature, Traditional, Rude, er there's one or two others, not that familiar with Paiste even if I own a 2002 crash

I guess I won't be updating the list. It looks like the edit button disappears after a day. :(

Oh well, still fee free to add comments though.

-tkr

Hmm, well the list is missing paiste 101s, Sabian Prosonix, Zildjian PLanet-Z, and a few other shit ones, and as people say, the top lines are all really a similar quality and personal preference plays a huge part there...

I'm shocked that Wuhan's complete line of high quality cymbals isn't in this thread yet.
You should be ashamed.

Oh shit, you're right, sorry. Completely forgot about the Paragons :P Got 'em confused with the Vaults, which are Sabians answer to Zildj's A Customs.

i've actually heard some pretty nice sounding wuhans...... a ride and some of their crashes (not S series.... as those are hit or miss..... some good some bad) as well as a bunch of chinas and splashes of course.

My first ride and set of hats I bought with my second set were Wuhans, and they were really nice, and inexpensive too. I've been trying to sell them but no one will buy them.

I'm just a guitarist who dabbles on the drums so take this for what it's worth, but I've tried two supposedly identicle cymbals that sounded very different.

I'm just a guitarist who dabbles on the drums so take this for what it's worth, but I've tried two supposedly identicle cymbals that sounded very different.

well yeah, thats why you try em.

when i bought my last cymbal, 18" Sabian AAX Dark crash, i tried 2 of the same size and model at the store and they were pretty much completely different in pitch and tone. similar character of course, but one was lower pitch and a bit darker (the one i ended up buying). also, they seemed visibly different as well, with one having a lot more hammering marks on it.

If there were only 3 lines of cymbals, I'd be screwed, since I really can't afford any of the decent stuff in any of those lines... I have one Zildjian A Sweet Ride ($210) and one Zildjian A Custom 19" (purchased cracked for $30).

Luckily, there is a country called Turkey.

I'm not going to break down the lines from these manufacturers because they aren't as much "cheap to expensive" as they are different sounds and styles... lathed, unlathed, partially lathed, overhammered, etc.

Soultone
Masterwork
Istanbul Mehmet
Istanbul Agop
Bosphorus

Of these, Soultone and Masterwork seem to make the most unique cymbals, Boshphorus are probably most expensive, and Istanbul Mehmet and Agop make the most similar lines, but tend to split opinion.

And let's not forget:
Saluda (cheap and supposedly decent American cymbals)
Solar (cheap and supposedly decent Chinese cymbals)
Spizzichino (really expensive handmade)
Meinl (midrange to expensive)

I've really stuck with the Paste 2002 line for years. I was very heavy handed for a time when I was performing alot and have the Heavy 15" hi hats which record quite dark, plus I keep breaking the 18" mediums and power crashes. I don't like the China's.

I bought my son some A Zildjian's and now I have the Zildjian bug. I still had my old 22" ride so I completed a set of A's on Ebay and they sound more "earthy" to me. I like their China's. Honestly, you get what you pay for. The top of the line sounds like the top of the line. Zildjians are cheaper to replace too.:D

On another note, I was impressed with the Sabian Neil Peart ride.

Paiste 2002 are probably the best rock cymbals ever made, period. I love my crash.

I'd definitally go the Turkish route as well, they generally seem to be inexpensive yet hard to find. I've had Istanbul Agops in my past setup and I currently play with an Amedia crash, wonderful cymbals.

Back