Cubase LE?

WarDrums

I just got a new 16 track recorder and it came with a cd of Cubase LE. Up until now I've used Audacity to mix tracks and songs because of its simplicity, so how does it compare to Cubase? Is Cubase "LE" considered a trial version with limited features until you upgrade to the real thing?

Audacity was a simple stereo editor expanded to allow some multichannel work. Its very basic.

CubaseLE is only 'junior' in that it has a fixed number of tracks and effects per track.
It's about 70% of th 'full' package and more than most people need.
Its a good way to start.

Personally, I've moved on from LE to Reaper, but thats another story....

I personally think LE is worth using over audacity. If I was forced to go back to LE (I'm using 5 currently) I wouldn't kick and scream to hard.

Name one thing you do with Reaper that you can't do with Cubase LE.

Cubase LE gives you what, 2 inputs per track? 4 sends max? Lol. Please. I can stack inputs and sends in Reaper until my computer melts down. The track routing alone makes Reaper ten million times better than Cubase LE.

There's not one single solitary good reason to stick with Cubase LE when Reaper is essentially free.....and infinitely better.

Cubase LE stats (the ones that matter):

48 mono or stereo tracks, just tried this in version 4 it will not let you add more than 48.
Le1 and Le4 only let you record 8 tracks at once, Le5 lets you do 16. I'm going to assume the limitation applies to outputs as well.
Le1 only let you have 2 inserts, le4 lets you have 8, and LE5 allows... I dunno probably 8 as well.
Le 4 has 8 sends per track (don't remember what LE1 had and not used LE5)

Quoteing Steinberg:
"While previous versions of the routing system included some restrictions, the new routing capabilities allow totally unlimited routing between group channels regardless of their order, and supports sending from groups to FX returns as well as from FX returns into group channels"

Le4 got rid of the VSTi rack and that was really junky (I hate instrument tracks), so I really hope they put that back in on 5 (I have only used LE1 and LE4).

Of course LE is really limited. Reaper is an awesome DAW no doubt if you can stand the work flow of it.

I'm way to used to mouse tools. The recording aspect of the program is fine. Actually the everything aspect of the program is fine (although it was a turd for OSX starting out).

I'm agreeing with you, in this case Cubase LE < Reaper.

Just opened reaper again to make sure I was remembering something else I didn't care for:

Menus!!!!!!!! ARG. Give me buttons please. I know you can customize reaper to your liking so maybe it's possible to add more buttons for things, but I really can't stand that everything is in a menu instead of a button.

Just opened reaper again to make sure I was remembering something else I didn't care for:

Menus!!!!!!!! ARG. Give me buttons please. I know you can customize reaper to your liking so maybe it's possible to add more buttons for things, but I really can't stand that everything is in a menu instead of a button.

Like what? Cubase is full of menus too, and even worse, menus within menus.

Cubase LE gives you what, 2 inputs per track? 4 sends max? Lol. Please. I can stack inputs and sends in Reaper until my computer melts down. The track routing alone makes Reaper ten million times better than Cubase LE.

There's not one single solitary good reason to stick with Cubase LE when Reaper is essentially free.....and infinitely better.

Maybe I'm being daft or something but do you mean 2 inserts per track?

Also, I guess without knowing what you do and how you do it my comment was out of line. I should have said that 90% (or more) of people recording at home will not run into a limitation with Cubase 4 LE. 48 tracks 8 at a time, with 8 inserts is more than most people need. If you have it and know it why change unless you actually run into a limitation?

Yes I meant inserts, sorry.

I don't care if anyone changes. I have no financial stake in Reaper. But having used both for several years, and Cakewalk, I can throw my 2 cents in and say that Reaper kills them both. Cubase LE is like a childrens toy compared to Reaper. And with Reaper being essentially free and limitless, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to use it. But whatever.

Maybe I'm being daft or something but do you mean 2 inserts per track?

Also, I guess without knowing what you do and how you do it my comment was out of line. I should have said that 90% (or more) of people recording at home will not run into a limitation with Cubase 4 LE. 48 tracks 8 at a time, with 8 inserts is more than most people need. If you have it and know it why change unless you actually run into a limitation?

That would limit just about every track I do/have done.....

Admittedly I think Cubase has better midi capabilities than Reaper...but limitless versus limited would win everytime in my book

Yes I meant inserts, sorry.

I don't care if anyone changes. I have no financial stake in Reaper. But having used both for several years, and Cakewalk, I can throw my 2 cents in and say that Reaper kills them both. Cubase LE is like a childrens toy compared to Reaper. And with Reaper being essentially free and limitless, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to use it. But whatever.

That's cool. I just wanted to know why you think that.

@kcearl. Which part would limit you? the 48tracks, 8 at a time or the inserts???

I have Cubase LE too (came as bundled software with my TASCAM interface I bought). Are there different LE versions then?? Mine just says "Cubase LE." If there are, are the more advanced or improved LE versions free too like mine was when I bought my interface? If they're all LEs, is there really much different in the first one and others?

Mike Freze

That's cool. I just wanted to know why you think that.

@kcearl. Which part would limit you? the 48tracks, 8 at a time or the inserts???

both lol...ive had 50 plus tracks in some projects and because its mostly synth based I use a ton of effects sound sculpting and quite a few software vsti's....

not really trying to pipe in but unless you aim to upgrade from the free software that comes with interfaces etc or are just curious I think Reaper is a no brainer..I dont have a stake in it either..I dont even use it lol

Ill shut up now :)

Hello Home Recording community...

I just joined and found this post first up and it applys to me... I recently bought a Tascam US-144 mxII and it came with Cubase LE... I can barely get the thing to work... It recognizes the audio but will not record... Or...Sometimes it will... Then it may start popping and stuff...

It took me forever just to get the thing registered... Fighting pirates I guess..

I'm used to a stand alone digital recorder... Or even better a cassette 4 track... I have tons of demo's recorded this way...But my new girl has encouraged me to move up in the world... So I bought the Tascam.... I finally printed off the 274 page book for cubase...Still, these bugs... I set the input VST whatever to the tascam and the outputs to the computer speaker Asio or whatever...

I just wanna record something... And what I managed to get recorded sounded really good...But now these problems have returned..
Reboot.. Try again... Repeat...

I have other issues with it too...But will maybe post that in an actual question thread... I just saw this post and thought I'd say hello...

I'm looking at Reaper right now... Maybe I should give that one a shot... If it will work I'd pay the bucks... I have used Acid before but not to record guitar music.. Ya know?

Thanks!!

Back