Crafter Guitars ?

metalj

Anyone have any experience with these ?

I am thinking of buying a used one. It plays, feels and looks like a top notch quality instrument. The electronics sound super high quality and clean, the bridge looks super high quality and sturdy.

I'm just a nervous buyer as I dont know anything about them.

The one I may purchase is the same model as this one, just a different finish.

Crafter SAT-ARW Acoustic Electric Hybrid Guitar

Thanks for any feedback.

I had a Crafter acoustic a few years back, not the best or nicest guitar in the world but definitely not the worst. £300, middle of the road kind of guitar. I gigged with it for a few years and it never failed me. My Dad now has the guitar, strung left handed for himself, minus the electrics which I stripped out and put into another acoustic I have.

A friend of mine recently acquired a Crafter very similar to the one in your post (See attached image) and it's a very VERY nice guitar. It too was used, with a hardcase. (Not sure where he got it from though, somewhere, UK but he got a bargain at £120) It's a very nice guitar in my opinion. I spent around an hour playing it. Very well built and not a blemish in the craftsmanship. The frets all nice and smooth, the action is awesome. Obviously, no 2 guitars are the same and personally, I'd never buy a guitar I'd not played previously. YMMV

One thing I did note about that guitar was it was extremely heavy. Like Gibson Les Paul heavy, if not heavier and that a semi acoustic. Although it didn't feel or sound very hollow, if at all.

My opinion is that a lot of Crafter guitars are really well made and will do the job you want. Obviously, they have their cheap end of the market as well, which I would avoid, as I would all guitar makers.

$_57.JPG

A friend had one of their smaller guitars, I forget the model. Set up properly, it played well and sounded ok. Nothing special compared to full-size guitars, but for a travel guitar, it was pretty good, especially with a pickup installed. Can't find the model anymore, must be discontinued. I wanted to get one for the wife as a present.

I have one Crafter guitar, I'm happy with it. It's the same body shape as the one Mr Clean posted the image of, only mine is book-match transparent black flame maple and is a 12 string version. It's very nicely finished and set up, allows for a great range of sounds, having the lipstick pickup to compliment the under saddle or the other way round or one or other depending how I select on the pre-amp. It stays in tune and it is heavy. Got the hard case supplied as an inclusive. Can't think of anything negative to say about it, it's not my best instrument but it does exactly what I bought it for.

I'd consider another Crafter while looking for another tool for the toolbox.

Regards

Tim

Thanks guys. There is one at my local store. I've played it unplugged, its sounds as good as it can for being a thin body and no acoustic hole, it sustains, it feels really good in my hand (wide neck which I like). It feels solid. I played it through a powered monitor and it really really really had a super clean tone to it. Nice ring but not all the garbed up overtones and string rattling noises like some electric acoustic are. It was a super clear sounding. It really seems like a high quality instrument. They are asking $550 with case. Im thinking if I can get it for $450 I may do the deal.

Here is the exact model. Crafter Slim Arch Top Guitar - SAT model demonstration with Damon Johnson - YouTube

Here are the specs. Its made in Korea from a Devil Tree LOL what the heck ? LR Braggs acoustic pup? Anyone know if those are decent ?

Crafter Slim Arch Electro-Acoustic Hybrid Guitar in Orangeburst
Slim Arch Designed Hybrid Guitar
Acoustic Sound Chamber
Mahogany Set Neck with 21 Frets
Orangeburst Top
Devil Tree (Asian Hardwood) Body
Mahogany Neck with Orangeburst Headstock Overlay
Rosewood Fingerboard
Mother of Pearl Position Marks
Split ‘S’ Soundholes
Deluxe Chrome Tuners
25.5″ Scale
L.R. Baggs Designed SAT Electronics
1) Kent Armstrong Humbucker
2) L.R. Baggs Element Pickup
Magnetic Pickup with 1 Volume and 1 Tone
Acoustic Pickup with 1 Volume and 1 Tone
3 Way Toggle Switch with EQ Blender at Centre Position
Gloss Finish
Includes Crafter Branded Hard Case

I've got one, it plays fine and sounds good, but I bought it really for a one off project, so the price was the key. The one I have is fine balanced against it's price. I think if I was spending lots of money I might be tempted for a different name, however - if you like how it plays and sounds and the price to you is value for money - then who cares what we think?

Back