cracks!

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

I have been using Sonar 4. Its been awesome! Been recording so much that now my computer is starting to run slower. My C drive is at 33% of space available. Some times my buffer rate is at 70%-89% with many dropouts or the song just doesn't play back.

Why is it though, that after I track electric guitars and electric bass, there will be no cracks (a good tracking), but then a few days go by, cracking starts to show on the track. When I zoom in on the track where the cracking occurs, you can actually see where the cracking is occurs (A cut in the track). I swear, when I tracked the guitars, there was absolutely no cracks, then all of sudden they show up on the track and its hard to get rid of them.

I use the same XLR cables that I use to track drums with no cracks. Why does cracking occur when I track electrics? I used 2 XLR cables, SM57, and a AKG mic. I used these same mics on the drums as well without any cracks.

Anyone know whats going on? Is it that my ram is getting full? Is this something that Mastering Engineers can get rid of? Anything I can do?

Thanks!

man... i was gonna suggest more ram and a defrag of the drives... until ya said you could see the events in the track... that strikes me as too weird... are ya sure about that???

man... i was gonna suggest more ram and a defrag of the drives... until ya said you could see the events in the track... that strikes me as too weird... are ya sure about that???

Yep I am sure. I stretched out the wav file and I can see a clear cut in the wav file.

Any other ideas?

wow.......thats crazy???????????

I wonder if........"and this is just an idea".......... when an audio file is loaded into Sonar and your hard drive speed cannot keep up with the audio file playback if that would cause some type of glitch maybe??????

My tracks will sometimes click and pop as well, and i always figured it was due to my hardrive "seek" time...........

idk.................confused.............

I've had what sounds like the same issue in FL Studio. Sometimes when I import a track that I made in Reason (no clipping, clean song) the waveform has cracks in it or little random places where it clips. Sorry, I don't have a solution, but I'll be following this thread because it's been driving me crazy too and I would like to know what is going on. My only guess is that something (hd, processor, ram, idk) is unable to keep up when building the peaks and doesn't fully process the track, leaving you with a track that is missing little bits of info.

check your drivers for your sound card. unintall,and reintall.had the same problem.it was with the buffer. it happens when you close some daws. atleast in w7 that was the problem i had,try it.i hope it works..
and for the one who is importing files from reason into fl.use the rewire instead.that will for sure solve your problem.

Last edited:
Back