Converting Cassette Album to Digital

You need to learn a little about different digital audio format.
1. There are two standard sample rates for audio files: CD audio which is 44,100 CPS, and sound for video, which is typically 48,000 CPS. This is how often the sound is sampled. Each sample is one 16 bit number. If you look at a .WAV file, you should see it listed at 1411kbps.

2. if the MyPin converts to MP3 right off the bat, make darn sure you are using the highest available bit rate (probably 320k). MP3 is called a "lossy" compression. Its not like something like ZIP or RAR compression, where you can recover all the original data. MP3 Bit rate has nothing to do with the sample rate of the audio file.

3. MP3 processing takes the standard wave file that has been digitized, and starts to throw away data that has been deemed inaudible. The lower the bit rate, the more data that is thrown away, and the more the sound is affected. A wave file of a typical song might be 30MB in size, in MP3 at 128k, it might be 3.5MB. Some of that compression is like doing a "zip", but the rest is special sound shaping. Once the data is thrown away, you'll never get it back.

I dont know which MyPin device you have. It seems they make a dozen different ones. When your device records, if it is set to audio, it probably is reading 44.1K, if you are doing video capture it will be 48K.

If nothing else, you should be able to sample a noise profile once the file is loaded and use that. You don't need to save a noise profile, you just need some silence.

As I said before, if it's just so you can share it, I would just chop them into individual songs, do a fade out at the end if you want, and save each. I've done is dozens of times. Then you can burn an audio CD, or put them on a flash drive, or put them on something like Dropbox to save with your buddies.

2. if the MyPin converts to MP3 right off the bat, make darn sure you are using the highest available bit rate (probably 320k). MP3 is called a "lossy" compression. Its not like something like ZIP or RAR compression, where you can recover all the original data. MP3 Bit rate has nothing to do with the sample rate of the audio file.
It's looking like you just put a USB drive into the little player and the mp3 settings are preset. I find the whole thing kind of depressing.

If it's the little Walkman looking thing, then yeah, it's probably giving pretty mediocre results to start with.

The MYPIN "converts a song on the cassette into mp3 format which goes to a USB stick inserted in the MYPIN when you start converting. It has worked pretty well, but I was just trying to convert a last song from the cassette and only silence was produced on the USB stick! Oh well....
You provided a clue leading to a breakthrough! I am using a software program to convert the mp3 songs I transferred off of the 1988 cassette, but I had not checked the settings. When I did, I found out I was NOT transferring from those new WAV files at the 41000hz rate. Corrected the transfer rate, tested that with one song in Audacity, and was able to use Noise Reduction. While there seemed to be a loss of gain, when I then transferred the file from Audacity into my Mixcraft 9 DAW, volume was fine.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions -- I can start the project over much better informed!!:sneaky::sneaky:

Dick

Wow! This all seems very complicated? Assuming OP has a means of playing the tapes* all that is required is a basic audio interface. One of the low end Behringers or M-Audio jobbies would be fine, even the very cheap UCA 202 is pretty good.

Software? Download this: https://www.magix.com/gb/free-download/sound-forge-pro/ Not only a basic recording DAW but has some excellent noise treatment functions, even a 'clip' restorer that could prove useful. OK, you only get it free for a month so crack on! Or, use Audacity to grab the .wavs and then blitz them in SF. Or use Reaper.

Level shifts? Should not happen but check that Windows Sound Settings is not playing silly buggers.

* Best results will be got from a machine that allows Azimuth to be optimized.

Dave.

Dave, this appears to be the unit the OP has. They run about $35 or so. They convert to only 128K MP3, it appears there are no other options. It doesn't say if it has Dolby decoding (probably not). Obviously, it's targeted to folks who have old cassette tapes, but don't have players anymore. Its not designed for extracting the highest quality audio.

The good part is that the cassette will still be available, so if the OP wants to get a really good transfer, it can be done with better equipment.

mypin.jpg

Back