Converting 4-track cassette to 4-track digital on PC

Dioskilos

I have an old Tascam Portastudio 424 MkIII... and I have a whole bunch of 4-track cassettes that my old band recorded back in the 90's.

I would really like to move these cassettes over to my PC.

I see that there are four analog "tape outputs" on the back. These are RCA style jacks. I've tested it and these outputs are passing through the raw 4 audio tracks.

Is there such thing as a sound card for a Windows 10 PC that has 4 analog inputs? And if so, can I use something like Audacity to record the 4 tracks at once?

My goal is to have exactly what is on the 4-track cassettes to be on my PC. Raw archived audio... but maintaining the 4-track format. Then later I can play around with re-mixing, editing, etc.

Or is there another method for this? Other device to get the audio onto the PC? Other software to record it?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Chad

I'm 99% certain that interface will do the trick.

I don't have an interface that will take four discrete inputs, but I do have an Alesis HD24. I recently did a transfer job from a Tascam 4-track by running it into the HD24, then copying the files to my computer. It wasn't as convenient as going straight in, but it got it done.

The UMC404 will easily let you record all 4 tracks at one time. You just need a DAW, like Reaper or ProTools First, etc. Set it up for 4 tracks, choosing each of inputs of the 404, hit record and start playing the Tascam. You'll end up with 4 wav files on you PC that you can play with later. Everything will be in sync.

I have been dumping albums and tapes into the line inputs of my Tascam 16x08, and once you get the process set up, its a breeze.

Back