Controlling Valve amps with MIDI

The thought of that is so perverse....I would now ask my tube amps for forgiveness for even thinking about the possibility of using MIDI/Computer control. :)

:D

For major live stage/theatre shows....MIDI is used a lot.
In the video they are using Cubase to send MIDI messages to the controllers, at specific points of the show's timeline.
I guess they all play to some sequenced shit and just follow the programmed song changes.....etc...while the computers send MIDI info to the amp controllers.

When you have lights, pyrotechnics...not to mention "choreography"...it's all timed out to the second.

The Blackstar Series One amplifiers (50. 100, 200watts and EL34/6L6 options except 200watter)
Have MIDI control..AND! THEY do give you a MIDI out!

Laptop control? So long as you have an audio interface with MIDI I see no problem but beware, NOT all interface HAVE MIDI!

I would think the M-A Mtrack mk1/Alesis iO2 would make a good budget option? The NI KA6 would be superb!

Dave.

The Blackstar Series One amplifiers (50. 100, 200watts and EL34/6L6 options except 200watter)
Have MIDI control..AND! THEY do give you a MIDI out!

Laptop control? So long as you have an audio interface with MIDI I see no problem but beware, NOT all interface HAVE MIDI!

I would think the M-A Mtrack mk1/Alesis iO2 would make a good budget option? The NI KA6 would be superb!

Dave.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'm not looking into buying, I'm doing research for a project!

Lots of amps are MIDI switchable. My Marshall JVM can be used with a MIDI foot controller to store something like 127 channel/mode presets that I make myself. I do not use this feature.

I've never heard of controlling one with a laptop. Just "MIDI" and "amp" alone in the same sentence is enough to make me wanna puke.

I don't how controllable other brands of amp with midi are with a laptop, but the H&K GM36 is certainly able to be used in that way. In fact the H&K will soon have the option of a Wi-Fi add on which plugs in to the midi port allowing full control using a PC, Apple, or Android device. Like some other folks, my gut reaction initially was one of repulsion and thinking back to some really tacky gear I've encountered in the past which to be fair actually gave manufacturers of later, better gear a platform to improve upon. The GM36 is a pretty handy unit in may respects. It's really easy to take to a venue with a good house PA and simply pipe into the mixer via red box to deliver it's array of tones while having a small cabinet on stage to get cabinet/instrument interaction.

The option to have a tablet on a small stand to control every aspect of the amp will be for some an attractive option. All my other tube amps are simply that, tubes and a few knobs as basic as it gets which is kind of reassuring in its simplicity. However, I've always worked in one field or other which involves me in new technology, hence I've moved with it a fair bit. Having survived the Wilko Johnson phase of my life on another recent thread, I'll perhaps open myself up to a little polite ridicule with the below image of a midi amp and a pointy guitar.

JRcab.jpg

I think JEMs are an exception. They're pointy but they're also really good. I'm gonna miss my RG570 when it's gone even though i never play on it anymore!

Hopefully I can get 200 quid for the RG, 100 for the Washburn and 70 or 80 quid for the bandit.

The amps with midi inputs can be controlled by a computer running a sequencer sending it midi messages.

It looks like cubase was also running backing tracks for the songs, so the entire show was sequenced.

Midi is also useful for controlling giant rigs with a rack full of effects from a single pedalboard, like a Bradshaw system.

Midi is also useful for controlling giant rigs with a rack full of effects from a single pedalboard, like a Bradshaw system.

It also works great for controlling one or two multi-effect units so that you don't need a huge rack of effects. I've been using midi to control my guitar effects for over 20 years.

Back