Considering the Crown XLS2000

mixsit

..for some live monitor power.
I was just wondering with the crossover/filter optiions does that mean the signal goes through A/D-D/A conversion?

..for some live monitor power.
I was just wondering with the crossover/filter optiions does that mean the signal goes through A/D-D/A conversion?

I own one and have no idea, I have not used the crossover. We have only done 1 gig with it so far but I can tell you the amp has a nice sound, we noticed an improvement right away, and everyone loved the fact that it only weighed in at 4.9Kg replacing the 22Kg amp that we had.

Alan.

I have had a look in the manual and it does not say much only:

PureBand™ Crossover System
The PureBand™ Crossover System in the XLS Series adds an enormous amount of flexibility and performance to any system. With this system, the crossover frequency is completely variable allowing the choice of any crossover point between 50Hz and 3kHz on 1/12 octave centers. The use of 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filters provides steep slopes for a seamless transition between high and low drivers. And with four crossover modes to choose from providing the ultimate in flexibility, all of your system needs are covered:

I can't even find a block diagram.
Alan

Crown also says on their website:
Crown engineers developed DriveCore™ Technology – a proprietary hybrid analog-digital integrated circuit (IC) developed with Texas Instruments that drives the "front end" of the Class D output stage.

so I'd say the signal does go AD/DA. Seems like a cool idea, but one thing that would worry me is, what if the DSP goes out? Is there a by-pass such that the power amp would still work as an amp only, even with a crapped-out DSP? Most DSP gear is not worth repairing when it breaks, so that needs to be considered.

Back