Connecting synths/mics to mixer, interface and computer

Dale Robinson

Hi, I want to find a way to bring my mixer into my recording as some of the effects I use can only be acquired by turning some dials on my mixer (Behringer Eurorack UB1002). A lot of the stuff I do I want to be able to replicate exactly live which is why the mixer is essential as it is part of my setup at home.

I also have a Focusrite 2i2 preamp/interface which I assume I should use to connect everything to my PC.

I am a novice at recording as you can probably tell but would be interested to see what you guys have to say about this. If you could also advise me on which cables I will need that would be greatly appreciated

MANY THANKS!

Are you trying to record live using the Behr, or re-amp (record, then send signal out to the Behr, then back again to record)?
If its the first choice, plug into the Behr,then line out/main out to the line in on the Forusrite (assuming it has such).

Yeah, the Focusrite 2i2 has two line/instrument inputs with hybrid input jacks that work both with XLR and TRS cables, balanced or unbalanced.

I'm looking at some pictures of the Behringer Eurorack UB1002 and it seems it only has stereo RCA outputs.

So, I guess you would have to get yourself a RCA to TRS cable to connect the two devices.

Something like this:

2rca-trs.jpg

After you get yourself this cable, just connect it from your Berhinger's RCA outputs into one of the 2i2's inputs and you're good to go. Make sure to select "line" right under the 2i2's input jack.

Download the proper drivers for the 2i2, install them, connect it to your computer's USB port and set it up properly in your preferred DAW.

Cheers,

Raf.

Raf....
I'm not really sure how this cable is going to work. Going out of the mixer L/R (stereo) and going into just one of the mono TRS jacks of the 2i2, the L/R signal would show up on the TRS on the tip and ring and the result would not be a L/R stereo image from the 2i2 into the DAW (at least I don't see how it's possible).
Two RCA's to 1/4" TS phone plug cables to each line input on the 2i2 would seem to me the way to go. The L/R signal could then be assigned appropriately L/R in the DAW.

Hey Mark,

This is a stereo RCA to stereo/balanced TRS cable.

The 2i2's input jacks, as far as I know, are compatible with stereo/balanced TRS jacks and stereo instruments like keyboards. They're hybrid jacks (XLR/TRS balanced/stereo or unbalanced/mono).

I own a Scarlett 2i2 myself but never tested it using stereo instruments. Theoretically, it should work, though.

Cheers,

Raf.

The 2i2 are combo jacks for XLR, 1/4" bal/unbal, but not for stereo. Your suggestion is close, but the op would need 2 RCA to TS 1/4" cables.

The 2i2 are combo jacks for XLR, 1/4" bal/unbal, but not for stereo. Your suggestion is close, but the op would need 2 RCA to TS 1/4" cables.

Yep. My bad here. You're right, Chili.

Just checked out it's ASIO configuration and both inputs are just mono indeed.

So, the solution would be to use two single RCA/TRS mono cables, each one connected to a line input on the 2i2, then combine both mono signals as a stereo track inside the DAW, right?

mogami_gold_ts_rca_cable_6_ft_66421big.jpg

Cheers,

Raf.

Hi, I want to find a way to bring my mixer into my recording as some of the effects I use can only be acquired by turning some dials on my mixer (Behringer Eurorack UB1002). A lot of the stuff I do I want to be able to replicate exactly live which is why the mixer is essential as it is part of my setup at home.

It seems really unlikely to me that the mixer is the only way to get the effects you want. I bet it could be done in a DAW but perhaps there's something about the workflow with the mixer that makes it a better option. What exactly is it you do with the mixer?

Back