Connecting multi fx guitar pedal to interface

My multi fx pedal has a stereo/headphones line level out and a mono out that's supposed to be used to connect it to an amplifier.
So far, I've tried using either of them to connect it to one mono input of the audio interface (which has a switch to choose if it must be fed a signal that is line level or instrument level) through a normal guitar cable and then record on the computer.
I don't use stereo effects, so I'm fine with recording only in mono, and the sound I get isn't very different according to how I do it, but I was wondering what method is actually the best/correct one to connect the pedal to the audio interface.
Thanks.

Sounds like you already have it - mono out of the pedal to the interface set at line level. If the signal volume is too low, switch the AI to instrument level.

There really is no wrong way to do it. You can feed the mono (amp) output to the interface and either use the latter's line input or the high Z 'instrument' alternative. One might sound better to you than the other. Should you wish to try the stereo source in the future you will need a 1/4" TRS to two 1/4" TS (guitar/mono) plug cable.

Just a point? ALWAYS worth giving model and make of any gear you are asking about. The sensitivity and headroom of various interfaces covers a wide range.

Dave. Jeez..I went away for a pee and you beat me Mike!

Thank you.
The pedal is a Behringer X V-amp and the interface an Alesis io2, if that's of any use.
So, basically, if I'm using the mono out of the pedal, everything's fine as long as the signal fed to the input is powerful enough.
What I still don't understand: if I run a single "normal", non-stereo (TS, I guess?) guitar cable from the stereo/line out of the pedal to the mono input of the interface (set at line level), is that "wrong" in any way?
Since the manual suggested using the line out to connect the pedal to a mixer and I only needed a mono signal, that's what I often did, without noticing many problems; but I was wondering if, in theory, that would cause any degradation to the sound or damage to the hardware or something like that.

Forget the manual. Plug in and listen. The different ways may have big or subtle differences needing the level adjustments. Just find the one for your own circumstances. Ive got a Behringer one and just use a spare unbalanced jack cable to go from the out to the line in combo connector on the interface. I’ve ignored the other socketry because the simple obvious way works fine.

Thank you.
The pedal is a Behringer X V-amp and the interface an Alesis io2, if that's of any use.
So, basically, if I'm using the mono out of the pedal, everything's fine as long as the signal fed to the input is powerful enough.
What I still don't understand: if I run a single "normal", non-stereo (TS, I guess?) guitar cable from the stereo/line out of the pedal to the mono input of the interface (set at line level), is that "wrong" in any way?
Since the manual suggested using the line out to connect the pedal to a mixer and I only needed a mono signal, that's what I often did, without noticing many problems; but I was wondering if, in theory, that would cause any degradation to the sound or damage to the hardware or something like that.
Probably not, but the stereo/headphone out is having half of the its signal sent to ground when you plug a TS (guitar, not speaker) cable into that jack. You say you don't use stereo effects, so you're effectively cutting the signal in half, and potentially losing something, if one of the FX you've dialed in does actually differ in what it's sending to L & R channels, but, as already stated, if it sounds good, then it is fine.

If you needed both outputs to feed different devices, like an amp and a recorder, then you might just get a stereo to mono converter to plug into the headphone out, and plug your 1/4" guitar cable into that to feed the high-impedance input (amp or recorder).

Probably not, but the stereo/headphone out is having half of the its signal sent to ground when you plug a TS (guitar, not speaker) cable into that jack. You say you don't use stereo effects, so you're effectively cutting the signal in half, and potentially losing something, if one of the FX you've dialed in does actually differ in what it's sending to L & R channels, but, as already stated, if it sounds good, then it is fine.

If you needed both outputs to feed different devices, like an amp and a recorder, then you might just get a stereo to mono converter to plug into the headphone out, and plug your 1/4" guitar cable into that to feed the high-impedance input (amp or recorder).

OK, I understand a little better. Losing something in terms of stereo image is not a problem, I was thinking more like in terms of loss of particular frequencies, brilliance etc., or damage to the actual hardware/preamps etc.
So such a converter would be the better way to do it, if I understand correctly.
Thanks to everybody.

Back