Condensor mic that could be used live as well as in the studio?

psongman

HI, my title is my inquiry. I think I asked this question a long time ago, but haven't researched the thread. I have been looking at the Heil HM-2D and the Studio Projects B or C1, but am open to other recommendations. I do think that gain is important as I don't like to use preamps like a lot of others on these forums. OK< get back to this thread when you can so I can narrow one down and spend, spend, spend, psongman(the thrifty shopper)

My SM81's would probably make good stage mics. It's the rear and side rejection aspects that has me selling them. But they do require phantom power and therefor a preamp.

Psongman- mic for what? Are you talking about vocals? If so, consider a handheld condenser.
Top of the line (big bucks) is Neumann KMS105. #2 for me is AKG C535eb. I'm not a fan of the Shure, I think it's Beta87. Before I did that, I'd get a top of the line dynamic. The other question is whether you have to be able to hold the mic in your hand. If so, it rules out most of the best dynamics and the vast majority of condensers as well.-Richie

I'm a little confused, you don't want to use preamps? In that case where/what are you planning on sending the signal from your mic to? Anyway maybe that's not what you meant. If you are going to use a preamp with +48v phantom power look into the Rode NT3, like some of the other guys said we don't know what you're using it for so its hard to help, but to an extent you could consider the NT3 as somewhat multipurpose for stage use...kinda haha.

There are other worthy mics in the handheld condenser department:

Audix VX-10 and VX-5
AT AE-5400 (and the discontinued but great AT-4054 and AT-4055)
Sennheiser E865 and E965

I personally really like the VX-10. As Richie indicated the AKG C535eb is also a very good mic for less money than the top handheld condensers.

Hi, thanks for all the great responses. No, I won't be using it for hand-held stuff as I play keyboards, and all sorts of guitars, etc. The reason I asked the question is, not often, but when I can get volunteers, I do get some background singers that stop by occasionally, so I want some extra mics....but also, I would really like to get that sound you get with a condensor when you record....yes, I know it picks up a lot of background noise, hehe, not just the singers, so was desiring a mic, I might be able to use for both, keep up the choices, psongman

Boy, THIS is a question I can NOT answer! I have two AT 40-series condensers- 4033 and 4040. I originally bought them both for performance mics for my unlamented, defunct bluegrass band. Banjo player insisted we play into a single condenser, when we got too big to cluster around one mic, we compromised and got the second. I got them both stupid cheap, which was sorta a curse, because I didn't know what I had. Used 'em outside! In the sun! It wasn't till posted here, about a year ago, that I learned that direct sunlight can seriously damage a condenser! They are great mics, probably better than I deserve. I USE them for both live and recording, with very good results, but I have no idea if they are really best for both. I suspect they are overkill for live use, and NOT cost effective there, either. Heck, if I'd had to pay the going price for them, I would have NEVER bought these.

Boy, THIS is a question I can NOT answer! I have two AT 40-series condensers- 4033 and 4040. I originally bought them both for performance mics for my unlamented, defunct bluegrass band. Banjo player insisted we play into a single condenser, when we got too big to cluster around one mic, we compromised and got the second. I got them both stupid cheap, which was sorta a curse, because I didn't know what I had. Used 'em outside! In the sun! It wasn't till posted here, about a year ago, that I learned that direct sunlight can seriously damage a condenser!

Direct sunlight would have the exact same effect on the diaphragm of a dynamic mic. It either will hurt them or it won't. The only thing you could theoretically safely leave in sunlight 24x7 for years would be a ribbon mic, but you can't safely use those in wind, so.... :D That said, given that every camcorder microphone on earth is an electret condenser, IMHO, the risk of sunlight is way overblown. I really wouldn't worry about it. At all. I'd worry about a dog urinating on the microphone during the show before I'd worry about whether the sun might make a condenser mic diaphragm brittle. Use a foam windscreen if you're concerned. Actually, you should do that anyway to avoid wind noise outdoors.... :)

To the original poster, there are lots of mics you could pick for vocals. If you're looking at the Studio Projects mics, you're probably hoping for sub-$200 vocal mics. If so, I'd probably steer you towards a CAD M179 ($140 at Front End Audio). If you're willing to go higher in price, the AT4040 that stevieb mentioned would be an excellent choice. There are many other good choices, of course.

Last edited:
The "Handheld" design typically means that the mic has a shaft conducive to being handheld, and that it also has internal suspension and noise suppression to reduce noise generated by being held and moved.

Doesn't mean you can't put it on a stand and use it for instruments or BG singers. The mentioned handheld condensers generally work just fine for instrument applications as well. I think the AKG C535eb is actually a very good instrument mic. You would need to look at things such as individual mic features like pads and roll off to see if they would work for you. you also need to keep in mind that they will all be cardioid or hypercardioid mics if that makes a difference to you.

Actually for BG singers I really like a ribbon mic like an AEA R84. Also very good for instrument micing (but not close micing).

Back