Condenser vocal microphone

mjamed

Hallo everyone,

Right now I am using Shure Beta 58A as my vocal microphone which is dynamic.

I want to get a condenser vocal microphone instead.

I looked at Shure and they have Beta 87A, Beta 87C, SM87A, and SM86.

I am very confused! Which one should I go for? Any suggestions? What should be my selection criteria?

Thanks in advance guys

Mics and then some.

SP B1...MXL 990

oh wait, I just happen to have one of each for sale??
what a coincidence!

if your in the US? $50....each,$100 for both.
original boxes near mint- 990 still in the plastic,
you can have the case too.
buyer pays shipping ~$8.

I'm going up a level or two also. its time. i'm keeping the 991 form thecombo set, and the SPB1 is upgradin' to something for Vox.

follow up

My budget is 300$

i have a phantom power source

i am using Aardvark Direct Pro Q10

i only wanna use it for vocals

You didn't say what style vox you are singing but if they lean towards Pop try the ADK Vienna. If they lean more towards Folk / Acoustic try the ADK Hamburg. Both mics are below. Best bet is to try whatever mic you decide on first before buying it or relying on what I or anyone else suggests. Trust your ears first. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=7312050003&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=7312341180&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

KSM27 or Solaris

I really don't know weather i should go for Solaris or KSM 27 ?

what do you think ?

mjamed said:
I really don't know weather i should go for Solaris or KSM 27 ?

what do you think ?

A year later and you still haven't decided? Pop that condenser cherry, dude! Please tell me this is an April Fool's joke.

Anyway, all of the mics mentioned are decent. You have to pick the one that works for your voice. Find a store that carries some of them and try them out. There is just no substitute for that.

loooooooooool

No I haven't been thinking all that year. I got away for a while from recording busy with work and other stuff. Now i am back on track so i am continuing where i left :P

thanks anyways

Ksm

My recommendation would be to go with the Shure KSM27 over the Solaris. After reviewing the specs of the mics in question, the KSM seems like a better mic. You will benefit from its 3 position bass rolloff (flat, 115Hz @ -6dB/octave, or 80Hz @ -18 dB/octave) and its -15dB pad (useful especially if you choose to use this mic for high SPL applications such as a guitar amp). Its frequency response seems relatively flat, with a presence peak around 6-7k. This should be a nice mic for the task.

Another mic you might wish to check out in the price range, though it doesn't have quite the versatility of the KSM with its rolloff switch and pad, is the R0DE NT1000. It is a great mic for the money-- it will perform well for vox as well as many other apps. It has a bit of rise in the upper mids (not as much as the KSM) and a presence peak around 12-13k. This one is also great for piano & drum OHs.

Both mics are great values for the money. The KSM is a bit more versatile with its rolloff & pads. The KSM has a vocal presence peak that is a matter of taste, where the NT1000's peak may capture some more airiness, though it may make it harder to tame sibilance.

I hope this helps.

Back