Condenser mic for live acoustic recordings. What to choose/

davidnyc64

I'm looking into buying a condenser mic for my vocals and unplugged guitar. I'm looking into the Rode NT1, The AKG Perception 220 or the Audio Technica AT2020. All 3 in my price range. Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful.

Thanks,
David

Questions:
Are you going to use one mike for both vocal and guitar?
Will you have a crowd at your live recordings or is this "live" in the bedroom?

All three mikes are good choices and pretty much up to personal preference. Try to get to a local music store and try them all for a week or two and return what you don't need...just let them know that's the plan in advance. Some places are willing to allow that sort of thing.

hypercardioid mics are good for live performances, I'd use 2x Rode M3 mics, I prefer them to the AKG1000S which is an industry standard for live music, maybe not so much thesedays but it once was.

If your using these for a live performance gig be sure you do a really good sound check . That should probably should go without saying so consider it a reminder.

Are you trying to record both vocal and giutar at same time (hence the 'live' description) or as already asked, is this recording an actual live performance?
I use a Perception 220 to record demos (vocal + acoustic), usually placed about 2 feet out (in a treated room) at a height about half-way between my mouth and guitar soundhole. I've got a fairly loud voice, so the balance works ok - YMMV.

Whoa there! Before anyone can make an informed recommendation, we need to clarify the definition of "live". My suggestions would be rather different depending on whether we're talking in a club in front of an audience or just "live" in the home studio as opposed to MIDI.

Whoa there! Before anyone can make an informed recommendation, we need to clarify the definition of "live". My suggestions would be rather different depending on whether we're talking in a club in front of an audience or just "live" in the home studio as opposed to MIDI.

Exactly-------- hence my question concerning wedeges

Back