Computer Purchase Recommendations?

freshlysqueezed

I should be getiin a new computer by next week. I'm gonn have about maybe 700 bucks to play with. I was thinkning either a laptop, mac mini or build my self a computer. What do ya'll suggest?

for that price you're gonna want to go for a desktop. but you may wanna save a couple hundred more and maybe build one. Look for components with rebates and slowly start buying components

anyone got any specs i can use for reference if im gonna build one? I would like to have something that can be powerful, but not monstrously powerful.

freshlysqueezed said:
anyone got any specs i can use for reference if im gonna build one? I would like to have something that can be powerful, but not monstrously powerful.

If ur gonna be doin beats n shit u wanna make sure u got atleast 1GB ram..2GB is ur gonna be usin alot of vst's n shit...but atleast 1GB is a must...go with a pentium 4 2.8ghz atleast or atleast a AMD 64 3400...you also want a huge hard drive atleast 200gb (just to start with, add more later)

Please get alot of ram when you get your comp. I got my comp a few years ago and it only had 256mb of ram and i see where you would need a gig. I wanna upgrade my ram but i have no clue how to do it or where to get it done.

tone_aot said:
Please get alot of ram when you get your comp. I got my comp a few years ago and it only had 256mb of ram and i see where you would need a gig. I wanna upgrade my ram but i have no clue how to do it or where to get it done.

you need to find whats the max ram your computer can hold..the goto bestbuy, walmart, staples, compusa, circuit city and price and buy ram

and you can install it yourself..its not hard..

what type of computer you have?

It's pretty easy. Open up your computer. Lightly but firmly grasp the RAM and gently push it into the slot.

tone_aot said:

Its very easy.. I have 1 gig right now and I still run out of memory when using proteus x sound module inside fruityloops. This website shows u exactly how to install ram http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_ram.htm . I buy all of my ram from www.newegg.com. Check it out. If you dont know what type of ram your computer takes, run this test http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

altitude909 said:
Best midi sequencer ever made.
No shit!

It was smooth as silk and ran flawlessly on the Atari.

Just to hijack for a quick one --- I had spent all day on my comp and had a session that night at a studio I'd never worked in before. They told me they had Cubase and I assumed they meant they had an ST. When I got there the tech engineer and I spent three hours ripping the midi system apart because I thought there HAD to be something wrong with their Mac --- it couldn't POSSIBLY be running at full capacity with the screen jerks and the interupted data flow. Then the regular engineer came in and sheepishly told me that they never ran more than two or three midi tracks at a time because the Mac just couldn't handle it...

Hijack over. :D

thanx for the advice on the build. this is gonna be my first one. ive actually got a tiger direct store here in Raleigh i can get the parts at. but if i can get the parts cheaper on new egg i will. again thanks for the advice.

Hey guys. I sent emachines and email and learned that their parent company is gateway! I talked to a sales consultant at gateway and learned that i can upgrade my ram, regardless of all the people that say emachines comps can't be upgraded. It's gonna cost about $100 bucks for a 512mb ram chip. Total, i'll have 768mb of ram when i add it. That should be a vast improvement over the 256 right? They said that it's upgradeable up to 2gigs! I'm short on cash tho.

tone_aot said:
Hey guys. I sent emachines and email and learned that their parent company is gateway! I talked to a sales consultant at gateway and learned that i can upgrade my ram, regardless of all the people that say emachines comps can't be upgraded. It's gonna cost about $100 bucks for a 512mb ram chip. Total, i'll have 768mb of ram when i add it. That should be a vast improvement over the 256 right? They said that it's upgradeable up to 2gigs! I'm short on cash tho.

Pull the 256 and put 2 512s in

what model is your eMachine? i will do some quick searching and find you (hopefully - if they are like every other brand out there) all the specs on your machine as it came from the store, and tell you what you can upgrade to.

hopefully i'll also provide some links for you to buy the upgrades cheap, but good. how much were you willing to spend?

bless.

tone_aot said:

$100 for a 512 stick is a rip off. Do a system scan on crucial.com and itll tell u what type of ram your system takes... On newegg you can get a 1GB stick for 70-80 dollars.. Never buy ram direct from your computer manufacturer unless u got money like that

Back