computer choices for recording?

deadkennedys

i want to get a new computer mainly just for recording, what are some good choices to make sure to have...whats a good soundcard, etc. for a price range of up to 1500 just for the cpu

Go with AMD ... faster for the money. Athlon 64 is a great chip IMO and easier to cool than the Prescott P4s.

M-Audio sound cards are excellent.

Build a custom PC with everything you want rather than buyin one from a brand name company. Try this site www.abspc.com you can get a performance machine

i agree...build your own....its more fun. i just finshed building an AMD 64 3000+ Abit K8 512 ddr400 80 gb sata hd geforcefx 5200 dual display. its ready for recording...but i'm currently having a good time overclocking everything i can. this will probably come back to bite me in the ass but its ok! I built it....i can fix it when i screw it up.

Rumbley - how have you got the two monitors hooked up? I have two analogue monitors plugged into my FX5200 but it can only 'see' one in the utility! They both display the same thing but I want one to be at a different resolution to the other :mad:

deadkennedys said:
i want to get a new computer mainly just for recording, what are some good choices to make sure to have...whats a good soundcard, etc. for a price range of up to 1500 just for the cpu

Hey man,
I was in your position about three months ago or so, asking the same questions. I ended up getting an AMD system (similar to the ones mentioned above), threw an M-Audio 24/96 soundcard in it and bought an M-Audio DMP3 pre. Also, I purchased two mics, a Shure SM57 and a Studio Projects B1 which have served me well thus far. I then downloaded a trial of N-Track to see what it could do, I liked it a lot but found a pretty goot deal on Cakewalk Home Studio so I went with that.

Anyway, whichever way you end up going with the software, the hardware that I listed above worked out perfectly for me as a starter system to get my feet wet in the world of DAW. Best of luck!

noisedude said:
Rumbley - how have you got the two monitors hooked up? I have two analogue monitors plugged into my FX5200 but it can only 'see' one in the utility! They both display the same thing but I want one to be at a different resolution to the other :mad:
You are running XP right? You say there is only one monitor being displayed on the Setting tab? Stupid question but did you try the Advanced button?
Also, did you build the machine yourself? I'm sure you have done this, but download the latest drivers and install them.

Oh things got worse after that. Someone told me to install Powerstrip but that stopped everything working so I booted into safe mode and deleted it ... but now I can only get one monitor to come on!

Back