Compression while recording...

sausy1981

Hi guys, I was just wondering what people think about using compression while tracking, Are their any kind of guidlines such as how much and what kind of instruments benefit from it...
Thanks

Here's 13 pages of discussion on whether or not to do it. I don't think we need more.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...recording-compression-opinions-please-354458/

Advice on settings is going to be generic. You need to set the compressor according to the specifics of the signal in question and your desired outcome, not by some online advice. This is true regardless of when the compression is applied, and there's plenty of generic advice of questionable benefit to be found by doing a search.

I track with heavy compression. At least 40db gain reduction. Saves me time when mixing down.

Hi guys, I was just wondering what people think about using compression while tracking, Are their any kind of guidlines such as how much and what kind of instruments benefit from it...
Thanks

While I realize you guys don't want to start another long discussion, I am just going to give this guy my opinion.

If you want to use compression on the way in, do it. If you don't, then don't. But realize that if you do, it cannot be undone. There's nothing more to it.

Experiment and see what works for you.

I didn't realize there was so many funny guys in these forums, They should re-name it to homecomedy.com, Dicks.

I didn't realize there was so many funny guys in these forums, They should re-name it to homecomedy.com, Dicks.

The same small handful of people tirelessly toil in the newbies and other forums answering the same questions over and over and over again for generation after generation of newbies and homerecorders. Some, who are actually recording professionals, have been doing it for years, for the benefit of all who fly past.

So, a bit of comedic relief from the tedium of answering yet another person asking about compression whilst tracking (must be a couple a week) is par for the course - I'd watch who you're calling a dick. You might need their help some day.

And you should read the linked thread.:eek:

I blame my Irish ancestry.

Seriously though, that thread has about as much as anyone would want to know about our opinions on recording with compression. Ultimately it depends on a lot of factors. I do tracking sessions with compression on everything and sessions with none at all.

I blame my Irish ancestry.

Seriously though, that thread has about as much as anyone would want to know about our opinions on recording with compression.

OP: It is considered poor etiquette not to do a search first. If you searched and just couldn't pull up the thread for some reason which happens, then it's cool to ask something that's been covered before. There aren't meta files here, (which has been my ongoing beef) like at GroupDIY) but you can still find a lot of what you are looking for. "compressing recording" returned that thread and a couple others like it.

The same small handful of people tirelessly toil in the newbies and other forums answering the same questions over and over and over again for generation after generation of newbies and homerecorders. Some, who are actually recording professionals, have been doing it for years, for the benefit of all who fly past.

So, a bit of comedic relief from the tedium of answering yet another person asking about compression whilst tracking (must be a couple a week) is par for the course - I'd watch who you're calling a dick. You might need their help some day.

And you should read the linked thread.:eek:

Very well stated! :)

I just brick wall it on the way in, saves time with all that screwing around with those fancy plugins on the 2 bus. :D

Disclaimer:
Due to the lighthearted comedic nature of this thread, I couldn't resist.

Ola !
I was just wondering what people think about using compression while tracking
Sometimes it works, sometimes it kind of ties your hands if you don't know what you're doing.
Are their any kind of guidlines
yes, yes there are.
such as how much
As much as you need ¬> experiment.
and what kind of instruments benefit from it...
Every instrument can. And they can all be wrecked by poor use too.
Don't mention it.

Back