Complications

BTStudio

Well let’s see if I’ve learned anything in the past 6 months. This one is not finished but I thought I’d start early getting advice on the mix
cheers. Guy

Attachments

• Complications.mp3
    7.5 MB
Well let’s see if I’ve learned anything in the past 6 months. This one is not finished but I thought I’d start early getting advice on the mix
cheers. Guy
This is nice. Pleasant to listen to. My only negative is that everything needs more balls. Drums, guitar. It's like they're through a filter and not getting the whole spectrum or something. I'd also shorten some of the instrumental parts. Nice, but gets repetitive. Good work. I like it.

I agree with the comment that the performances need more balls. Really stab the acoustic guitar. Smooth out the lead playing - it sounds like you're practicing.

Drum samples are OK, but just OK. The toms are REALLY wide. A few too many tom rolls.

At first I didn't care for the acoustic guitar tone - but by the end, I liked it.

love the acoustic guit sound. Agree with TripleM that it could use a bit more balls in the playing.
The electric lacks a bit of direction. Play it like you feel it. Maybe less notes. Sometimes plays a bit too much over the vocals.
nice vocals.
toms are a bit wide, the rest of the mix seems a bit narrow. Maybe less rolls, apart from that nice drum track.

This is nice. Pleasant to listen to. My only negative is that everything needs more balls. Drums, guitar. It's like they're through a filter and not getting the whole spectrum or something. I'd also shorten some of the instrumental parts. Nice, but gets repetitive. Good work. I like it.
Yes thinking about shortening that intro section half as long. Trying to emulate the Tragically Hip on this one which is proving difficult but will keep on it.
thanks for the input

I agree with the comment that the performances need more balls. Really stab the acoustic guitar. Smooth out the lead playing - it sounds like you're practicing.

Drum samples are OK, but just OK. The toms are REALLY wide. A few too many tom rolls.

At first I didn't care for the acoustic guitar tone - but by the end, I liked it.
Yah electric was done in 2 takes almost like a place holder for that part. Will probably narrow the spread on the toms too
thanks for the input

love the acoustic guit sound. Agree with TripleM that it could use a bit more balls in the playing.
The electric lacks a bit of direction. Play it like you feel it. Maybe less notes. Sometimes plays a bit too much over the vocals.
nice vocals.
toms are a bit wide, the rest of the mix seems a bit narrow. Maybe less rolls, apart from that nice drum track.
Thanks and noted

Well here it is. Round 2 with a lot of the suggestions implemented
sorry about the 10 second wait for it I will get rid of that eventually.
Guy

Attachments

• ComplicationsRev4.mp3
    7.5 MB
Anticipation, is making me wait ;)

Very good all around. I wouldn't say I am right, but I would pull some ~2.5-3K down in the vocals and then nudge the vocals up. That is more of a production opinion than a mix critique.

Nice.

This is better. Bass has a little more meat. Lead guitar still sounds a bit wimpy to me. There's another guitar that comes in around 2:00 that has a much better tone. I'd prefer that throughout the song, maybe with some volume envelopes to bring it in and out where needed.

The acoustic sounds nice, but I'm not a fan of panning it towards the middle. I would suggest recording a second acoustic track (playing mostly the some thing), then pan one left and one right. Go as far as you want, but I usually go to 100%. I think this would help it punch better.

Thanks dac. Noted on the electric performance and I will try out the acoustic panning. I already have 2 tracks but they are about 15% to the same side. I’ll spread them out a bunch.
Guy

Thanks dac. Noted on the electric performance and I will try out the acoustic panning. I already have 2 tracks but they are about 15% to the same side. I’ll spread them out a bunch.
Guy
Yeah, put them on opposite sides and spread them further. That alone will make a big difference imo.

V2 definitely has a more raw "room" feel, live rehearsal space sound.
Sweet-n-Simple :)

I'd focus on the song arrangement... it's a bit repetitive.
Find a different chord and turn one of your verses into a bridge ;)

V2 definitely has a more raw "room" feel, live rehearsal space sound.
Sweet-n-Simple :)

I'd focus on the song arrangement... it's a bit repetitive.
Find a different chord and turn one of your verses into a bridge ;)
Thanks Japov. Stripped it down and cleaned it a bit seemed to help with things.
slowly getting there
Guy

Here is yet another version. Spread the acoustic among many other adjustments.

Attachments

• Complications 2.mp3
    7 MB
Back