Community Speakers?

Community's are very solid speakers. They sound good and preform very well. That being said they're not Renkus-Heinz. For a semi-pro application you should be very happy.

I'm a sound contractor and I've installed a number of Community speakers in churches and the like without one complant. I'm also a dealer for Community, OAP, Renkus-Heinz, ISP, EV and Wharfedale speakers.

I will say that Wharfedale makes a number of the Community speakers and are a lot less expensive. Drop me an email with what you want and I can get you some price w/ both Community and Wharfedale.

dpwebster@bellsouth.net

i'm gonna bump this OLD thread real quick to see if i can get an opinion from someone who's NOT selling them. my uncle is trying to buy some monitors for live sound, and the guy at the music store he is going to keeps trying to push Community speakers on him. personally, i've never heard of the brand and i was wondering what experiences people here might have had with them. thanks.

Their MI stuff is as nice as Yamaha Club series, Peavey SP series, EV Eliminator, etc. Their high-end stuff is great, but big $$.

i'm not sure exactly what models they are trying to sell him, but AFAIK they are aroud $250 each, so i'm guessing its a 12" or 15" floor monitor. my uncle sucks at remembering, it was hard enough to get him to figure out the brand name itself, so i'd have to go there in person to actually see what model the speakers are. is there anything as good or better for $250 a pop? is the new stuff from peavey any good?

I would imagine that at that price they are about like everything else in that range like the JBL MR and JR stuff, yamaha, etc... Even the high end COmmunity stuff is not all that great, but Community is typically a good value.

Back in the day, Community (light & sound) use to be the shit; anyone remember . I don't know how their current products are but based on the history I would not rule them out. I can tell you that EAW makes some really good stuff but it is real expensive. However, I have a set of the new Peavey SP-3 series that we use for messing around (don't gig much any more :( ) and they are very smooth and sound better than I expected them too.

Hope this helps

I used to have a full Community rig (CSX60's and CSX70's). They sounded really good, but to be honest - the actual cone drivers - like most mid-line and lower speakers, were made by Eminence, and the actual boxes were ratfuzz covered particle board. Can anybody say - HEAVY?!?!?:eek: (the 4x15" sub was 36"x36"x22" IIRC, and weighed like $180 lbs. Talk about a pain to manhandle in and out of the van!) Somebody told me that at one point, Community made this line out of plywood, but when I opened mine up - they were particle board.

In this day and age, if I were looking for economy speakers - I'd go with Peavey speakers with Black Widows, and buy a decent amplifier, Crown, Crest, or QSC to power them.

Tim

If I were looking for an affordable set of speakers, I would either look at Turbosound TXD, JBL SRX (which may not qalify as affordable for many here) or look at the used market.

In all fairness though, I should state that I am a Turbosound dealer.

Back