Communicating with midi soft & hardware

Dark Star Balla

I'm using the MV88 (sounds & sequencer) with soft synths and an ext Keyboard like a Fantom for sounds & as a controller? I'm using the Motu 828mk2 (1 midi in/out) MV88 & FW-1884 (4 midi in/out) for the Fantom & all other ext sound modules. I use the MV88's sequencer and I need all the sounds to come thru the MV but control them with the Fantom X7. I'm using Sonar X2 btw... Any suggestions?

Not sure I understand what you're saying.

Are you able to produce sound now, but you would rather make it a different way? Or are you getting no sound at all now and need help?

Sorry, I realized that post wasn't clear enough. I'm using 2 audio interfaces & the Roland MV8800 (sounds & sequencer) with soft synths and an ext Keyboard a Fantom X7 for sounds & as a controller? I'm using the Motu 828mk2 (1 midi in/out) MV88 & FW-1884 (4 midi in/out) for the Fantom & all other ext sound modules. I use the MV88's sequencer and I need all the sounds to come into the MV88 but control them with the Fantom X7. I can get midi signal & sound when I select my keystation midi omni only. Nothing when i select a midi channel tho. I'm using Sonar X2 btw... The objective is to sequence everything with the mv8800 using the Fantom as the controller but use both interfaces midi ports. Thanks

I can not be the only person who's tried to communicate midi with multiple interfaces? I'm not sure if no one understands what I'm asking or if no one has ever successfully done this? Torn between buying longer midi cables so everything can just be connected to the fw-1884 or buying usb midi interface. I just hate to keep adding more gear (confusion) to my set up just to get everything working.

I think I get what you want to do --- let me know if this solves the problem.

Make the MV8800 clock the master clock of the system. Put the computer into external clock mode and run a midi cable from the MV8800 midi out to the MOTU midi in. You don't specify how many other sound modules you have, but the Tascam FW-1884 should serve as a fancy midi thru box.

When you push play on the MV-8800 the whole system should start if you've got everything configured right. By 'everything' I mean the global settings on the MV8800 and the PC running Sonar. This will give you access to soft synths on the PC, MV-8800 sounds and Fantom sounds if you turn local off on the keyboard.

Post again w/your success or failure!

You were right that is one of my goals. I have been able to accomplish this for quite sometime. I can do that with both the Fantom X7 & the MV8800.. I just can not make the Fantom behave like a keyboard controller for the MV unless its midi is plugged directly into the MV. I even added a Motu Midi Express XT USB and can see all the routing just have not figured out the correct setting to accomplish this. Been scouring the web trying to find someone with a similar set up or experience with this set up would be helpful but that is a long shot.

Back