clipping audio recording with phone @ festivals

samg1

Had a question, not really sure if there is a way to address this issue... I have a working/basic knowledge of audio concepts.

Made some fantastic videos at a festival last month on my mobile phone, but the audio is completely distorted and sort of kills the videos. The SPL where the videos are shot range anywhere from 130-150db+. I'm not looking to get something perfectly clear, just a way to reduce it so that it's not ridiculously loud/clipping. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I thought about plugging up a set of earbuds with a mic (the factory headphones with the phone) and wrapping something around the microphone, but that barely made a difference.

Are there any tricks that may work outside of carrying a separate mic to address the issue? I'm thinking it may be a lost cause, but was hoping someone may know a way.

Thanks

Other than moving the microphone to a quieter location (which isn't going to really do what you want), the only other valid option is to use a recorder that can handle the SPL.

Kind of depends on the phone, but you should be able to find some kind of external audio source that will plug into it. A less sensitive mic would be a start. One with on-board pad and low cut filter would be better. A good stereo condenser and real audio interface would probably be best.

Back