Chs 7 record 4 tracks simultaneously

CareyFarmStudio

I have used Cakewalk 2002 for a while, for a few albums, by recording a track at a time.

I now have Sonar Home Studio 7 on a new PC running Windows 7, everything works great.

I want to get an interface to connect my Tascam 8x4 analog mixer to a new sound card for multiple track recording.

Is it possible?

If so can you recommend an interface and sound card.

4 tracks at a time will be sufficient.

If not, it's back to the old layering technique.

Thanks for your help!

It depends on what the outputs your Tascam has. When you say 8x4, what is that - 8 inputs, 4 outputs? What model is the Tascam.

There are a ton if interfaces that have 4 input. Also depends if you want to go firewire, usb or pci?

Can you narrow things down a bit more?

Multi Track recording

I have a Tascam M-208, 8 inputs to 4 sends to 2 sends.

I used to record 8 inputs to the mixer to an Akai 4 track reel to reel, and then play it back thru mixer down to 2 tracks to the PC.

I'd like to go thru the mixer to 4 tracks to the PC. I see some sound cards offer 2 channels audio and 2 channels midi. I don't use Midi often.

Tom, ROCKland, MA

Thanks for your reply!

One suggestion is the M-audio Delta 44. You can get a great deal on these ($150 - $175.00)

There are a lot of other interfaces available though. You may want to spend a night googling and get familar with all your options.

I agree with Washburn. If you like the pre's and are comfortable with the Tascam, then the Delta 44 would work great for you. Just route the four subgroups to the four inputs of the Delta and you're good to go. That makes routing easier to, as you can leave eight mic's hooked up to the mixer and send signal to the subs when you need it . . .

USB and FireWire provide a lot more flexibility as you can move them from computer to computer without having to take a PCI card out. Like Wash said, spend some time a-Googling . . . and keep in mind: you say four simultaneous tracks are enough, but once you get used to that you'll quickly want more. You can get an eight input interface for not that much more money . . . Focusrite Saffire, PreSonus Firepod, etc.

Back