Cheap portable vocal booth

The only thing that monster is going to do is prevent higher frequency reflections from your singing (how high do you sing?) from bouncing off the back wall (and partial side walls) towards the back/side of your mic.

Which ones are better...the "hairy carpet" kind or the ones with plush velour lining? ;)
Actually...it's not a bad idea...it would work.

Not sure why so many folks are worried about making their vocals 100% dry/dead...?
My main vocal mic (tube) can be dialed in from omni all the way to figure-8 in 9 steps. I usually track with it set to the 2:00 position which is mostly cardioid (12:00) but it also opens up the back capsule part way...which will pick up some of the room.
I position the mic roughly the middle of the room of the short side and at a point about 2/3 of the long side....and I sing down the long side of the room.

No need for 100% dry/dead...unless you are an announcer or doing voiceovers....IMO.

ah,, now I remember why I have not been on this site in 10 years,you ask a simple f...king question and all you here back is a bunch of crap from people that think they know it all

really so you think everyone on here are all pro's
My point was I asked a question has any tried one of these things
I was not looking for a review on a product no one has ever tried

If you're going to get picky, you didn't ask a question.

Be honest with yourself though. Would you have been happy with someone who replied "yes" or "no"?

I did ask a question ,All Im saying that this is HOME RECORDING you go on here and ask A question ,and you get back these commits from a select few, of these clowns that think the know it all,Its not everybody on here .Anyways I was able to find some helpful videos/demos on youtube about the subject

hey thanks kip4,from what I seen on youtube ,the videos I have seen, are giving examples of with one and with out one,, you can hear what it does.I think it going to be helpful in my situation

If you're going to get picky, you didn't ask a question.

He did ask a question, he just didn't use any question marks!

Honestly Norm, you ask people's opinions, and you get them and you're not happy about them? Do some searching here for 'vocal booths' and 'using foam as a sound insulator' ....
If you want to try out a similar device you can find acoustical foam on Ebay pretty cheap for a few pieces of Auralex, and do-it-yourself.

ah,, now I remember why I have not been on this site in 10 years,you ask a simple f...king question and all you here back is a bunch of crap from people that think they know it all

If your read the posts...people DID answer you and DID comment on that foam screen, in one way or another.
It sounds like you were set on that screen already and just looking for affirmation to go out and buy one.
Great...you now got one that you feel will be helpful in your situation.
Why the attitude then? I didn't notice that anyone gave you an attitude in this thread. :)

really so you think everyone on here are all pro's
My point was I asked a question has any tried one of these things
I was not looking for a review on a product no one has ever tried

The fun thing is, you don't have to personally use something like that to know what it will do (or not do). It's called physics. If it happened one way once, it will happen the same way the next time.

Drew

I picked up an SE Reflexion Filter pro the other day cheap on ebay (It was ex-demo). I haven't had a chance to record with it yet, but it sounds very promising. If you talk into it it sounds like your ears are filled with cotton wool, similar to a (very expensive) university dead room I've been in.

As for why people would want vocals completely dry - most of us don't have rooms designed to compliment the sound, and we make do with what we've got.

If you talk into it it sounds like your ears are filled with cotton wool...

That wouldn't be a very good marketing pitch for SE. :D

It's not about needing a million-dollar studio live room, it's just that when the room/sound is 100% dead...it sounds...dead.
A little "life" goes a long way.

YMMV....

Back