Cheap Multi-Pattern Condensors

Which sub-$500 multipattern is the best all-round value?

• Studio Projects T3 ($500)

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • ADK A-51 TL ($500)

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Audio Technica 4050 ($480)

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Groove Tubes GT57 ($450)

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Studio Projects C3 ($360)

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • CAD M179 ($200)

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Studio Projects B3 ($160)

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other ($???)

Votes: 21 19.4%

• Total voters

nkjanssen

I want a couple of cheap multi-pattern condensors for my 2-track singer/songwriter demo rig. One would be for vocals (mostly male), one for acoustic guitar. I want multi-pattern so that I can do the figure-8 null trick. I'm thinking of a Studio Projects C3 for vocals and a B3 for acoustic. Has anyone tried the CAD 179? How does it compare to the C3 and B3? Any other mic's I should be considering in that price range that work well for this kind of thing?

I happen to have 4 CAD M179s. As you can probably guess, I love them. Typically use them stereo micing of classical music performances, and I like them a lot on almost anything, although I typically go for the B3 on guitar, honestly. Recently, I used the M179 to record film voice over for a big basso of a narrator.

Honestly never used the C3, though I hear people think it's a better vocal mic than the C1 (if I'm remembering properly.)

yep the m179 is nice. especially at its price point. if you are looking for used, the e300 is nicer. (slightly sweeter top end). usually $250 or so.

never used a b3.

I've tried the Studio Projects, and I've tried the ADKs and I'm afraid (for me, anyway) they don't quite cut it when compared with the AT4050, or AKG C4000. Those are pretty much the only sub-$1000 multipatterns that ever see any use in my studio.

Scott

Thanks for the replies. I've added a poll to solicit a bit more input.

Also, DigitMus, have you ever tried the CAD stuff? Any thoughts on that compared to the AT or AKG?

Of the ones you have listed, I'd say the Audio Technica 4050 is about the best mic of the bunch. As far as best value goes, I'd have to give that one to CAD M-179 at 200 bucks.

The sales guy at the music store that I buy from really likes the AT4050, too. Maybe he gets extra commission for selling them?

Anyway, I have a dirt cheap chinese made Samson Audio C03 (three pattern, bass rolloff, 10 dB pad, 19 mm capsule), and it's totally useable (not amazing, but useable). I just got an AKG C414B ULS rental to try out for a while, and it seems to be very nice on cymbals, but only just decent on my vocal. I'm going to try it on electric guitar next, and maybe snare, and I'll post results. You may be able to find one of those used for around 500.00.

Lance135 said:
The sales guy at the music store that I buy from really likes the AT4050, too. Maybe he gets extra commission for selling them?

Or maybe he just likes mikes that sound good? Crazy thought, I know.

Yeah, I might rent the AT4050 for a while to see if I want to buy it. Do you ever have sibilance problems with it?

nkjanssen said:
I'm thinking of a Studio Projects C3 for vocals and a B3 for acoustic.
Personally, I'd use the C3 for vocals AND acoustic if I was considering spending that much. The B3's ok and gets more attention, but the C3 is much better, IMHO.

BTW, I've heard reports that the Behringer B2 is a decent multipattern mic and it's only around $160 street. I haven't used or heard one, though.

Another mic to consider in that price range is the Shure KSM 44. I see them new on ebay all the time for $550.

I agree on KSM44. It's a studio workhorse, and a very good live soundstage mic. One of my backing vocalists, Maureen Fleming, has a project studio in San Diego, and uses it a lot. Sarah Watkins from Nickel Creek did all the violin on Mo's first album with a KSM44. Although I don't own one, I've used it extensively. It's on "the list".-Richie

Chess, have you ever tracked with a 179, I'm looking for a multi myself and was wondering if they are worth a look or is it one of those "at that price" things

They're definitely worth having around -- especially at that price. They're not in the same league as the 4050, ksm44, or C414. But they're worth having. I use one on almost every session on something (under snare, backing vocal, etc.) with no qualms whatsoever.

nkjanssen said:
I want a couple of cheap multi-pattern condensors for my 2-track singer/songwriter demo rig.

Cheap is a strong word, especially when you consider the quality you can get in many of the cost effective multi-pattern mikes out there.

Many of these lower cost mikes can outperform the more expensive mikes, so don't sell them short. Any mic is only as good as the room, the talent, and the engineer. Price is not the issue anymore.

wheelema said:
Why don't I see the M-Audio Solaris in the mix? Massive Master would be bummed.

I was just going to ask that!!!

I've got a deuce of them and they have served me very well for everything from vocals, drum overheads, ambient cab miking, choirs, ensembles, etc... Darn good mics and so little is ever said about them...

Sile

PMI-AG Mic Tip

alanhyatt said:
Cheap is a strong word, especially when you consider the quality you can get in many of the cost effective multi-pattern mikes out there.

Many of these lower cost mikes can outperform the more expensive mikes, so don't sell them short. Any mic is only as good as the room, the talent, and the engineer. Price is not the issue anymore.
Hmm, thanks for the tip... it's good to know that your more expensive mics aren't any better than your cheaper mics.

Back